A Day With Johnny

Ponyboy's P.O.V.

After all the dishes were gone and we had all settled in the living room, Steve barged right on in. Our door was always unlocked so everyone helped themselves when it came to my house.

"Hey Soda!" was the first thing out of his mouth then he saw me and immediately became annoyed, "Wipe your face kid." I embarrassingly wiped my mouth with my hand. I can't believe Steve was already trying to make my Saturday miserable.

I looked Steve in the eyes and drank the last of my milk, leaving a milk mustache and smirked. Johnny laughed until Steve rolled his eyes causing Johnny to quickly hush. Now my day really was horrible. The beautiful sound of Johnny's laugh was shut up all because Steve didn't know how to have some childish fun.

I turned to Johnny and as proper of an accent as my voice would let me, said "Well I do say, a laugh is far overdue for this here fella." Johnny started laughing and that's all I needed to hear. Soda broke into laughter as well and Steve hit him on the head. Soda rubbed his head, still grinning. I turned to Steve with all seriousness "Well that wasn't very proper, now was it Mr.Randle?"

Steve glared at me hard and everyone laughed, even Darry.
"When have I ever been proper? You've been hangin' with that damn Soc girl too much."

Now he took it too far. Sure he hated me, but I knew he didn't mean what he said. It hurt and I hushed up after that.

Johnny quietly pipped up "He's still tuff if that's what you're denying." I looked at Johnny in surprise. Nobody called me that aside from Soda, and I didn't necessarily believe Sodapop. It's brother stuff.

"Tough or tuff cause he ain't any of those!" Steve said looking at me.

"Both." Johnny looked up at him.

"Alright cut it out" Darry muttered, clearly not amused.

Soda and Steve exchanged a wild series of handshakes. "Ready to go?" Steve asked him "Sure am!" "Gonna need your shoes." "Gee, yeah. Darry you know where-" "In your room" Sodapop disappeared and came back with shoes in his hands. "Bye Dar, Johnny, Pony." He managed to free one of his hands to rustle my hair.

"Johnnycake wanna come?" Steve asked. I felt jealously and sadness and anger come at me all at once and I looked down. So much for our plans.

"Nah, I got a date with Pony." I immediately looked up. Date? Me? He was turning them down for me? Date? I couldn't help but smile.

"Alright man, have fun" Steve and Soda left and I made eye contact with Johnny. I couldn't stop smiling.

"What you wanna do Johnnycake?"

"Let's walk and find out"

I looked at Darry for the "a-okay"

"Dont be out too late"

With that, we left. I didn't know where we were going, but with Johnny Cade, I could walk the entire earth and not mind. I watched him take a cigarette from his pocket and stick it between his teeth. He held out his pack out to me and offered me one. I didn't really need to calm down, just being with him did that, but I accepted anyways. I pulled out a lighter and  we lit ours, taking drags and walking down the street. I'm surprised Darry let us go, he didn't like greasers walking alone. It was dangerous and we weren't really the biggest greasers. Maybe he wasn't really thinking it through when he said we could go. I wasn't allowed to leave as much anymore especially considering what happened to Johnny and I awhile back. But Johnny carried and I knew from experience he'd use it. 

"So, did you have any plans on going anywhere?" I asked. "Not really...Park?" "That's tuff."