The Endings are the Best Part

I texted Hona and about five minutes past until she was back in the room. Jace had been long gone by then, so now it was just an empty room with two teenage girls sitting in it, one very cautious and another who was a mute.

I hadn't noticed how much Hona had changed from the last time I saw her. She was wearing a suitable blue t-shirt with zebra stripes and a pair of regular capri jeans. Her shoes weren't high heels, but plain black slip-ons.

Hona sat gingerly on the chair next to my bed.

"So, um, we had tater tots at lunch yesterday." Hona said, breaking the silence.

Hona, we have to be serious right now. I wrote on my pad.

"I know, sorry." She said after she saw what I had written.

Why did you help me?

"What do you mean?" Hona asked.

Why did you help me after I hurt you?

"You did hurt me, that's for sure. But I couldn't imagine what would happen after you ran off into the woods like that. I wouldn't."

Good. Start there. When I ran off into the woods. Start there.

"Well, Feather, Crimson and I were still pretty shocked about what happened. I guess Feather was freaked out about what would have happened if you had shot that spell at us. Crimson dropped her paint and tried to calm Feather down, but I sat on the curb.

"I didn't know what to do, I didn't know what to think. I was miffed that you would try to do something like that towards us, but then I thought about why. We had been awful to you for the past couple of days. Not the good kind of awful that we usually do at school. But then again, I don't think there is ever a good kind of awful."

What happened after I ran into the woods? I wrote to get her to get to the point.

"Right. Well, it was silent for a few minutes, but then I heard you scream. It pierced the air like a knife through paper. That's when I stood up and threw everything to the ground. I started to run towards where you went, and Feather and Crimson followed. I saw Scorch take to the sky and followed her most of the way, but something dropped from her talons and I realized that it was you. I ran even faster to try to get to you, but when Scorch turned around and started flying the other way, I thought that meant that she was following you through the woods.

"I followed Scorch and got lost in the high trees. But once I heard your scream again, I ran again. I came right when you asked what spell to use. And that's when you blacked out and fell from Scorch."

You came to try and protect me.

"Yeah." Hona agreed.

I'm sorry. About everything.

"No, I'm sorry. I should have helped instead of mocked." Hona said, adjusting her shirt.

Why are you wearing that?

"Oh, well, you've been unconscious for a few days, I haven't been paying attention to how I look lately." She said. I glanced down at my hospital gown.

Neither have I.

That got a laugh out of Hona. But I could tell that she wasn't speaking the whole truth. I twirled my right hand, but nothing happened. The artificial replacements that they had to do were blocking my magic. I twirled my left hand instead.

The red smoke trailed into Hona's mouth and she spoke.

"I want to be good now, like you." 

Really?

"I want to know what it feels like to be you. When I saw you with Jace, I saw more happiness than Feather, Crimson and I could have ever given you. You were happy, so I want to feel what that's like." Hona said, blushing. "You probably think that I'm weak and pathetic now that the curse is gone."

It's gone?

"Yeah." Hona laughed.

Huh, I haven't noticed! I wrote. I smiled and Hona did too. She groaned with tears in her eyes and rolled them, leaning over to me and gave me a hug. I didn't let go for a long time.

When we did pull back, Hona brushed tears from her cheeks, and I was on the verge of letting some out myself. Hona looked at her hands for a moment, then looked at me, her chin quivering.

"I thought you were going to die." She said. She sniffed and wiped her nose, looking at me still. "I thought you were going to die and leave me here, alone."

You're not alone, Feather and Crimson are your friends too!

"Yeah, but I could never have such a strong connection as I have with you. That's why it hurt so much that you shut me out."

Hona, I would never shut you out. Not intentionally.

"But you did. Do you know how much that hurt?" Hona asked. I gestured to my many injuries and she laughed. "Meep, I guess what I'm trying to say is.....I love you. You're like the sister I never had. I couldn't bare it if you left me."

Hona, I love you too. And that's kind of funny, since Jace said that we acted like we were sisters. I wrote. Hona laughed harder. But did you realize how much it pained me to see you, Feather and Crimson spray painting my house?

"Speaking of which, we cleaned it before your dad got home and he didn't see anything." Hona said.

Cool, but I'm talking before I ran away with the dragon at my back. It felt like my friends were gone and in their places were three girls who knew nothing about me. It felt like the day my mother died. My heart ripped out, the aching, the numbness, the pain in my heart I couldn't even describe to you. My anger towards you Feather and Crimson was fueled by the ache in my hollow chest. I had already lost my mother, I didn't want to loose my best friends too.

It's hard writing this, since my hand is artificial, but I can't stop. When I saw Crimson paint on my garage when I was talking to you, that felt like Wesley branding his magic into my mom's chest. When you all started yelling at me, that felt like when Wesley dropped me from the air. I've told you that story. You remember me telling it to you, I can see it in your eyes. That's what it felt like, Hona. It felt like that awful day in Emerald City.

"I realize that. You can't even imagine how sorry I am about that. I love you like a sister, and I will never try to hurt your feelings ever again." Hona said.

I'm glad we had this chat, Hona.

"Me too." Hona laughed. "Me too."

Tell Feather and Crimson that they can come in now. I smiled.

"You can come in now!" Hona called. Just then, the door flung open and Feather and Crimson fell on top of each other onto the floor. I covered my mouth so that I couldn't laugh, but one snuck through. 

Crimson looked up and at Feather.

"See, Feather, I told you that hopscotch was a bad game to play in the middle of a hospital hallway! This door flung right open when we fell on it!" Crimson said, nudging Feather.

"Wow, these doors aren't that sturdy! It would be a terrible door to lean on and eavesdrop on someone!" Feather replied, winking at Crimson. Crimson just shook her head slightly and rolled her eyes, getting up off of the floor.

I looked at Hona and she laughed. I stifled a giggle too.

It was all back to normal, except everything was totally different. Do I really have to list all of the changes for you?

Hona, Feather, Crimson and I made a complete attitude change, my father is actually proud of me for once, I have an artificial hand and multiple injuries that need time to heal, Hona and I have expressed our feelings openly and honestly, and I am completely okay with it all.

But my favorite is the last on the list.

I am good, and I am crazy in love with a goodie-two-shoe called Jace.

What could be better than that?