chapt. nineteen

the sun.

phil runs out of the diner, wheezing from his injuries. he passes the pub; the grocery store; the post office, until he reaches dans house. his run slows to a halt as he drinks up the scene of the police cars and an ambulance. he's only a few metres away when he sees dan, standing in the middle of his footpath, hands in the air. about eight officers jog out of the house, drawing their guns as one man cuffs him and pushes him towards the closest police car. phil's close enough to hear what he says.

"daniel howell, you are under arrest for illegal firearm possession, drug possession, assault and first degree murder. what do you have to say for yourself?"

phil close's his eyes, tears dripping down his cheeks and stinging his fresh cuts. he squats slightly, his elbows on his knees as a sob escapes his parted lips. the two make brief eye contact as dan's pushed down into the car. phil starts running again, yelling his name.

an officer grabs phil's waist, making him cry out in pain as he presses on his injured ribs. phil reaches forward, trying desperately to touch him one last time before he's taken away forever. dan looks at phil, giving a sad smile.

"dan!" phil cries as the door slams shut. "dan, listen, i'm sorry, i-i-i love you."

his head snaps up at the words. they stare at each other and phil swallows thickly. dan smiles softly.

"i love you, too," reads on his lips.