Slow Dancing Alone

I check my watch; it's already 3:00 AM. I doubt Aaron is able to sleep after receiving player of the series after a 5-0 series win against one of the best teams in the world. The celebrations lasted long into the night. I'm looking forward to seeing Aaron, and telling him how great he was. Without him, we wouldn't have nearly won that last game. I smile to myself again, as proudness blooms in my chest. I find his hotel room exceptionally easily, room number five, of course. The door is slightly wedged open, so I push on it, and step into his apartment. My first thought is how lovely it smells. It smells just like Aaron, warm spices and an open fire.

I hear a slow Van Morrison love song playing, and I turn my head to the source of the music; a CD player in the living room. There he is, Aaron Finch, the most masculine man I've ever met, slow dancing, alone. His hands hang in the air, as if someone were holding them. I take a few moments to just watch him. His feet move in perfect rhythm with the music, and his head sways, his lips mouthing the words to the song. I chuckle to myself, and his head snaps in my direction. His mouth hangs open. He obviously wasn't expecting visitors.

"Oh, hi Glenn. How, how long were you watching? I just, I'm uh," He blushes furiously, obviously flustered, rushing to turn off the romantic music.

"No, no don't turn it off." I tell him. He moves away from the CD player, and turns back to me, confused. I laugh, and look up at him. I asked him not to stop the music, but I've no idea why. I don't want to ruin the mood. My mind races to think of an excuse.

"Let me dance. I'm horrible at dancing. Seriously, maybe you could teach me! You seemed to know what you were doing!" I say a little too enthusiastically, though I don't think Aaron catches on.

"Alright? I guess so." He looks at me confused and startled. For a stocky man, he looks absolutely ridiculous.

This is the first time we've ever been alone together. The first time we have been truly alone, not in front of thousands of people. I smile at him, and move closer. I hold onto his waist, and my other hand melts into his hand. They fit together perfectly. Wait, what? He places his other hand on my waist, his face flushed. Having your best mate catch you slow dancing is one thing, but having them ask to join in is on a whole new level. My feet move in sync with his, and he starts to whisper the lyrics to the song. It's one of my favourites.

"Have I told you lately that I love you." He sings. His words echo through the room, full of meaning. His voice is slightly off key, but it only makes it sound more genuine. Our bodies continue moving through the living room, slowly. Occasionally our feet clash, but the mood in the room stays the same. The atmosphere is gentle, as are his hands on my waist. We sway from side to side, never losing grip from each other.

"Ease my troubles that's what you do." Aaron sings, as the song ends. I look into Aaron's eyes. He's looking directly at me, but not through me. A force is pulling at us. Like one of us is a magnet. Without a warning, he pulls me towards him, his hands on the back of my head, and our lips clash. It's a soft, but passionate kiss. He pulls back. Silence ensues, but my mind is racing with thoughts. I don't know what I'm thinking, it's like during a live stream when comments are just flashing before your eyes, and you never get a chance to properly read them. All I know is that I simply want more. I plant another kiss on his mouth. My body feels warm. It feels full. As if I've found what I've been searching for, for a very long time. I pull away and smile at him. We're both speechless. I can see his mouth trembling. I hope that it wasn't all too much. The whole thing just happened really quickly.

"Look Glenn, I hope I haven't made you feel, um, I –"

"Aaron. I have an odd feeling I've wanted to do that for a long time. I know you might think it's completely weird, but I feel really comfortable with you" I truly believe what I'm saying. I smile a little, and look back at Aaron. He's smiling too. It's a good sign.

"What are we going to do though? What about the rest of the team? What about everything?"

"Look, why don't we just take our time? Live in the moment. Let's just dance." Aaron smiles at me, and we continue dancing to non-existent music, and everything in the universe seems to be going my way. Everything seems like it's falling into place.

Hours pass.

"Look, I don't mean to burst your bubble, or as a matter of fact, mine too, but it's nearly 6 in the morning and we have a few team meetings later today. Maybe we should get some sleep. I'll set an alarm for 11 o'clock." I tell Aaron

"Alright, you can stay with me if you like, I've got quite a large bed." Aaron offers.

"Thanks, I'll meet you there, I might just put my clothes in the wash, they have some beer spilled on them. I'll be right there." I tell him. Aaron goes to the bedroom, and by the time I've stripped, he's already asleep. He looks beautiful when he sleeps. His mouth hangs open slightly, and he makes little snoring noises. I don't ever want it to be 11 o'clock. I want to stay in this moment forever. Just us, and a sappy love song.

(written by Amy)