Chapter One - The Death of a King

En başından başla

"Your Grace!" He exclaimed, averting his eyes. "I-I didn't know you were here!"

"Relax, Thayer." I told the healer, pulling my ornate robe tighter around my night gown.

"Forgive me, your Grace." The young redhead breathed in relief. "Seeing you so. . .undressed surprised me."

"Surprised me too, the first time I saw her undressed." Frewin spoke up from his bed, laughing a bit at himself.

"Frewin!" My cheeks burned only the slightest as I shot him a glare. But I couldn't help but smile at him because he still managed to love me, even in pain.

"Well then," Thayer huffed, marching in with his vials and potions tucked safely in his worn leather bag. "How are you feeling, your Majesty?"

"About as well as I look." He wheezed, his eyes never leaving mine.

I took back my seat by his side, while Thayer rushed to the other side of the bed, muttering inaudible things under his breath.

"I like you in blue." Frewin suddenly said, taking my hand in his. His surprisingly rough hand was almost hot to the touch, but I clung to it. "It brings out your eyes."

"Then I shall strive to wear blue as much as possible." I told him, smoothing a piece of black hair, slick with sweat.

"I don't want you in black, Maris."

I froze, my hand resting on his chest. "What?"

"You won't say it, neither will Thayer." He rasped. "But I am dying. I can feel it. And the last thing I want is to leave you alone, but I don't think. . .I don't think I can fight this much longer."

"Don't say that." I whispered, hot tears pricking my eyes.

"I am." He said, as firmly as a dying man could. "But the thought of you alone in this cold kingdom, shrouded in black. . ." His other shaking hand went to touch a strand of my blonde hair, twirling it around his finger. "I hate that image. Promise me you won't mourn."

"I can't make that promise." I told him, ignoring Thayer's gaze and the tears slipping down my face. "Because I won't be alone. I'll have Snow."

Frewin grimaced in pain, gripping my hand tightly as his chest heaved faster. "Snow. . ."

"Do you want her?" I asked quickly. "I'll go get her."

I started to get up, but Frewin pulled me back down, stronger than I expected out of him.

"N-no. . ." He wheezed, his eyes filled with pain and terror. "No, don't bring her here!"

"Frewin, she needs to see you." I told him. "She'll want to say. . .she'll want to say goodbye."

"No she won't! She did this to me!" He hissed, a half mad gleam in his eyes.

"She's a girl! Barely fifteen!"

"She's a monster!"

"It's the fever, your Grace." Thayer explained, though he looked shaken. "He's not thinking clearly."

"I am!" Frewin shouted, wheezing a bit as he did. "This is the first time I've thought clearly in a long time. I can. . .I can see now, Maris. You have to believe me."