40. You'll be a great writer someday

Start from the beginning

I could almost feel the pressure of her hand there.

"Yeah."

"What is it about this time?" she sounded genuinely curious.

"A boy, a boy living in the streets, surviving."

She pouted, "It sounds depressing. You're too young to write sad stories."

"We reflect ourselves in our writing." I said, "You told me that."

"I did." She admitted, squeezing my shoulder, "You'll be a great writer someday."

I huffed, "Don't have so much faith in me."

She leaned in and kissed my cheek, "I will always have faith in you."

She left and the memory faded away, leaving me alone in that room.

Do you still have faith in me, mom?

Even after I betrayed you?

Even when you're dead because of me?

Instinctively, my hand went for the tattoo on my neck. I deserved that tattoo. I deserved its meaning.

There was a gentle knock on the door. I knew who it was. It had taken her this long to collect the courage to come and face me. I wasn't angry anymore, not like yesterday. I wasn't even disappointed. She didn't need me to be disappointed. She was going through enough. I knew she was terrified.

"Come in."

Helen walked in, hands behind her back and sat on my bed, "Hey."

I turned on my seat to face her, "Hey."

"From 1 to ten, how much do you hate me?" she asked, running her fingers through her hair.

I sighed, "I don't hate you, silly."

"I'm so sorry, Evan. I know you expected me to be smarter than this, that-"

"Stop." I cut her off, "I expected you to be yourself, to make mistakes, to fulfill your dreams. I expected you to live, Helen. That's all I expect from you. Live."

"I know you're disappointed."

"I'm not."

"Yes, you are. You just don't want to say it. You don't want me to feel bad."

"Helen, getting angry at you is not going to change anything, is it?" she pulled her feet up to sit with her legs cross. I noticed her bare feet, "Are you serious?"

She gave me a confused look, "What?"

"Walking bare feet with this cold?" I got up and looked for some fluffy socks in one of the drawers. I knelt in front of her and grabbed her feet to put them on.

"The heat is on. Calm down."

"It's still cold. He could get cold or something."

"He?" she smiled down at me.

"The baby."

She messed my hair up, "You're adorable, big brother."

I stood up, "I'm not. I'm pretty evil. You should ask around."

"Right."

I placed my hands on my hips, "Does he know?"

"Jason?"

I gave her a tired look, "No, that other guy you were sleeping with."

"No need to get sarcastic." She retorted, "No, he doesn't know."