I'm sorry for all the flashbacks, but they're mostly why I wrote this story

I woke up earlier than usual with an unshakeable feeling that something was wrong. I heard it. A muffled cough and the shuffling of feet. I rose slowly, who would be up this early? I opened my room door a crack. 1? What’s she doing up?

She leaned on the wall just outside her room as another wave of coughing hit her. She could barely stand up let alone go on the mission today. I’ll speak with Minato-sensei in the morning, it shouldn’t be a problem to go alone.

2 hours later and I was up going through my daily routine. I walked to the kitchen hoping to catch the sensei’s alone but instead she was making breakfast. She hummed softly to herself, slightly off pitch but not unpleasantly so, I narrowed my eyes.

“Why are you up?” I said walking closer to see that she had chosen a simpler dish to make today. Probably doesn’t want a repeat of yesterday.

Her humming ceased, “Cause it’s morning.”

Her smile, her demeanor everything seemed so false, so forced. She wasn’t pale anymore but it must be a strain to move around as she is. “Are you sure you can go on the mission today?”

“It was just the 24 hour flu.” Her voice held a slight undertone of suspicion. Who told you? Was what I heard instead.

“That’s not what I heard.” I said casually, almost to myself.

“What did you hear? I don’t have some sort of illness if that’s what you think.”

I narrowed my eyes. Her tone is sharper. I let it drop. I can’t risk the mission. “Nevermind. So where do you think we should start today?”

Her eyes seemed to change rapidly to a much friendlier outlook. “I was thinking in the morning we’d check out the abandoned farm which is on the way, next we’ll check for the man as he’s in town, then we’ll head to the docks for the first warehouse. Then head west until we reach the abandoned district and the last location.”

“Why in that order?” I asked surprised that she had even thought the mission through.

She shrugged. “Seems the fastest way to get things done without having to double back.”

I nodded, makes sense. “We’ll need a break, I believe it would be best to eat before we go to the docks.”

“Sounds good.”

“Already working as a team I see.” Minato-sensei said entering the kitchen.

I nodded as 1 placed food in front of both of us. “The others will be down soon.” She said. Placing five more plates on the table.

“How do you know?”

“It’s always been a mystery to us.” Sensei said as he entered the kitchen continuing to speak in a more extravagant way. “She has a unique gift, a blessing to us all.”

“Sensei, you know as well as I do that certain floorboards squeak. Now eat.”

Sensei’s eyes gleamed dangerously before a playful look returned, “Hm, you seem to be in a mood this morning. Everything all right.”

She sighed shooting him a look before her voice mimicked his light tone, “What mood?”

“That’s my girl.” He said ruffling her hair. “So have you eaten already?”

“Yep, I ate a while before Kakashi walked downstairs.” Lies, there was no evidence. She can’t be that quick.

Soon everyone was seated at the table and within minutes the food was gone. I had to give her credit, she could cook rather well, when it came to simple dishes at least. I gathered the dishes, placing them into the sink for her.