VIII ~ Lauren

The month of July flew by in a blur and before I knew it, it's the first week of August. I felt kind of nostalgic, knowing that summer was coming to an end, but I didn't have to worry so much about the ending of summer because the days had started to crawl by in at a painfully slow rate. Maybe because I didn't do anything eventful during the passing weeks or maybe because it was the fact that Jonathan had stopped coming to the Mudhouse Coffeehouse and I was left alone, but I think it was the fact that Mrs. Reed had told me to take care of her son and I haven't even seen him in weeks that made me feel like I was moving in slow-motion.

My parents didn't do much to make me feel any better because I was so good at hiding my true emotions and thoughts, so they thought that I was just feeling lazy. I had dragged myself to the Mudhouse a few times, but Finley couldn't give me any answers about Jonathan except for the thought that he must be going through some "depressive phase" so I should "butt out"; which was rather ironic given what Mrs. Reed had asked me to do. However, Finley did provide me with Jonathan's therapist's contact information and I took it upon myself to call Dr. Wyatt one afternoon.

Unfortunately, Dr. Wyatt wasn't much help because he was technically her patient in the medical sense and it wasn't her right or her place to give me any information about Jonathan's condition and whereabouts. Instead, she told me to be patient with Jonathan because she knew that he had always pulled through in the end.

That was it, I have given up now. Jonathan's gone and I don't know what else to do. I've broken a promise and I fear that it may not be the first one that will be broken as this summer comes to a subtle end.