[ C h a p t e r - T w e n t y - S i x ]

Začít od začátku

“I was going to say, I don’t know about you but I’m going to the library,” I sped up the latter of my sentence in fear that he’d cut me off again.

He smirked. “Then I’m going, too.”

We walked in silence, approaching the gym hallway. The doors swung open and a fuming Shaw exited. His eyes landed on us and they darkened. I turned to look at Jonah who was already in a sprinting position. “Aw, not again.”

“Tell me about it," Jonah replied as we broke into a run. I heard Shaw’s huffing and puffing from behind us. We had a better chance at escaping because he’d just got out of gym class where he ran 10 laps.

“This… is… painful,” I stated as I started to slow down. Jonah looked back and shook his head.

“What’s going to be painful is each of your ribs snapping when Shaw punches you. Hurry up,” Jonah replied and I scowled as I caught up to him. He grabbed my hand; this time, he held onto it tighter.

“Wait,” I muttered as I halted. Jonah was still running so he jerked me slightly but caught me when I almost tipped over. I felt my face heat up as I squirmed out of his grip.

Shaw was right there, breathing heavily and I was starting to regret my decision of stopping but there was no way we’d get away now. “Are you finally giving up?”

I shook my head. “I’m asking for a truce.”

Shaw’s booming laughter filled my ears. “A truce?”

“Yes, a truce as in a treaty, a settlement,” I replied as I stared at him.

He narrowed his eyes at me. “I know what a truce is.”

“I never said you didn’t,” I hastily replied before I pursed my lips.

“Watch your attitude when you’re around me. Give me a minute to think about it,” Shaw stated.

I was about to reply before Jonah’s hand found its way over my mouth. I turned to look at him. “As funny as your comment may be, our physical wellbeing is on the line right now.”

I nodded and he retracted his hand from my mouth, pulling me back and looping an arm around my waist. I stood there, red faced and awkward. Finally, almost 3 minutes later, Shaw turned to look at us. He scoffed.

“Okay, truce," he grinned a toothy smile. I stared at him, slightly confused. He sighed. “I have to take down 8 of the basketball players and 6 nerds; wiping two nerds off of my plate would do me some good.”

I held back a remark and just nodded my head. He extended his hand and I immediately took a step back. I then realized he wanted me to shake his hand. I took a cautious step forward, my hand ready to protect my face in case I needed to. I shook his hand for a second before stepping back and allowing Jonah to take my place.

Jonah shook Shaw’s hand and I saw Shaw press his nails into Jonah’s hand. Jonah winced before slowly attempting to shake the pain out of his hand.

Jonah and I started walking down the hallway, waiting until we were out of his range to let out relieved sighs. “What was that?”

“Aren’t you happy I did that or else we’d still be running?” I asked him and he nodded his head.

“You just saved my ribs and my lungs,” Jonah laughed and I smiled.

I sighed. “Well, you might have to let me borrow one of your lungs because mine just ripped in half.”

~~~

“I talked to Waverly in third period,” Jonah announced as he swung our hands together. I turned to look at him, a confused look on my face. “Well, at first, she started yelling at me for cheating on her.”

I snorted. “What’d you say?”

“I told her that I don’t like her and that there wasn’t anything going on between me and her. She glared at me before she decided to start ignoring me," he replied with a shrug.

“That’s it?” I asked him and he shook his head.

“A minute later, she turned and asked me why I’m dating you to which I replied because I like you; you’re smart, funny, and pretty," he replied casually, as if his words were nothing. I felt my face reddening. He doesn’t mean it, Savannah. Stop blushing like a lunatic, please, you’re embarrassing me.

“And what happened next?” I asked him.

He looked at me, taking in my red face before he smiled. “She walked out of the classroom.”

We walked around aimlessly until the bell rang. He walked me to my car, while swinging our hands- something I’ve become accustomed to. “My parents are coming home this weekend. They want to meet you.”

“They know who I am?” I asked and he nodded.

He looked at the ground sheepishly. “I may or may not have told them that we’re dating.”

I felt a proud feeling form in my stomach. He told them that we’re dating? “Why?”

He shrugged. “Technically, we are.”

I thought for a moment before nodding. “Okay. Anything I should know?”

“The exact day that we started dating is January 17th and you may or may not be questioned,” Jonah stated innocently.

I sighed. “What else may or may not happen?” I asked.

He thought for a moment. “I may or may not ask you to go to the Valentine’s Day dance with me. Just in case you were wondering, that was me asking you to the Valentine’s Day dance.”

“No,” I stated and his face fell. “But we can hang out that day. I’m not a dancer…and going to the dance will mean I have to buy a dress…and I’m not a shopper, either.”

His face lit up again. “Okay, let’s hang out on Valentine’s Day, okay?”

I nodded my head. “That sounds good to me.”

“So… are you my valentine?” he asked me and I chuckled.

“I guess I am," I replied and he nodded excitedly. I had the urge to smile and this time I didn’t fight it. I also didn’t fight the blush that rushed to my face as his lips pecked my cheek. I could get used to this. Don’t.