Chapter 11 - Even Stevens?

ابدأ من البداية

He sighed heavily, and leaned back in his chair before raising his eyebrow perplexedly. "What?"

"How do you know how I like my tea?" I questioned intriguingly. I like my tea strong, with a little milk and a small dash of sugar to give it somewhat of a kick. He got it just perfect and normally I didn't like tea made by someone else. 

"I don't."

"Oh."

"I made it how I have mine." 

Silence loomed over us after that. I wasn't quite sure what I should say or do so I drank the rest of tea and then walked back into the bedroom, followed into the bathroom so I could change back into my own clothes. The dress was still a little damp, and not the most pleasant thing to wear. I didn't even want to face putting my heels on. No doubt any passers by would assume I was doing the walk of shame, little did they know.

Soon after I found myself squeezing my feet into my heels which squelched when I put my feet inside. I tried not to grimace at the feeling but it was hard. I placed the clothes Harry had lent me in a neat pile on the end of the bed. He was already ready and waiting for me by the time I had finished up in the bathroom.

I followed him to his car and walked round to the passenger side. I awkwardly scrambled in, trying to avoid flashing anyone anything they shouldn't see at this time of day. I had only noticed it wasn't even eight in the morning when I glanced over at the clock on the dashboard. 

As we sat in traffic, rush hour in the city I looked over at Harry who had remained completely silent on the whole journey. In fact all morning he had been pretty quiet. I didn't really know him but from what I had gathered previously he actually liked to talk. I chewed down on my lip hastily. 

"It is safe now right. James won't be after me will he?" I asked the question that had been on my mind most of the night and was eating away at my insides.

He looked over sceptically, stared at my panic stricken face when he didn't reply straight away. I must have completely paled, I could feel all the blood rush from my head. "He'll be taken care of."

"I hope you don't mean kill him."

"Like what he was going to do with you?"

"He was going to kill me?" I yelped slightly and unwantedly. I just assumed he wanted to show me off as a trophy piece, force me to spill anything I knew and kick me back out on the street, it never occurred to me he wanted me dead.

"He thinks you work for us. If he had somehow managed to get you back home, he would have tortured you to find everything out and then killed you. He couldn't let you run back and gossip about it."

"Why does he think I'm working for you?" 

"That's a good question. One I am yet to figure out an answer for. But believe me, he won't be bothering you again." 

I shuddered at his sinister tone. I don't think he realised how dark his presence had begun until I shied away, sitting right up against the window. He looked over briefly before returning his attention back to the road. 

Soon enough we were stopping outside of my apartment and I could brief a sigh of relief to some extent. I looked up at the building from inside the car cautiously. There was nothing stopping James from being inside there right now. I could be walking into an undesired fate.

"The area has already been surveyed. He's not around here." Harry answered my questioned before I even asked. I gulped but nodded nonetheless. 

"I, um." I mumbled, not entirely sure how you go about thanking a gang member who would more than likely laugh in my face. "Thanks for last night."