Chapter 2: The Prosecutor's Office

Start from the beginning

Mr Seption came back after a little while. "He will see you in fifteen minutes; he needs to prepare a few things. Why don't you sit in one of those chairs over there? He will ring me when he is ready for you." Mr Seption gestured to the area where the detectives had been sitting. They had since left. I went over there and sat down in one of the chairs to wait. After about two minutes, a man exited the elevator, walked up to the seating area and sat down. He was dressed in a black suit and an orange tie. He was also wearing sunglasses. "Good day, young lady," he said to me. "Are you new?"
"I am new to the country, yes, but not to the profession," I replied, unsure whether he was asking if I was a new prosecutor or just new to the office.
"Ah, I see. What a lovely accent you have there, by the way. Ah, but I've completely forgotten to introduce myself, haven't I? How rude of me; one should always treat a lady with respect, as I always say. Gaspen Payne, prosecuting attorney, at your service," he said, holding out his hand. I shook it.
"My name is Cornelia Chime. I just transferred here from the London Prosecutor's Office."
"Ohhh! Yes, I do recall hearing something about that from the Chief Prosecutor," he said, with a look of recognition on his face. "It is an honour to meet you, Miss Chime."
"It is nice to meet you too, Mr...Payne, correct?" I said questioning lye for I had almost forgotten the gentleman's name.
"Yes, that's right. Oh, and one more thing before I go," he added, standing up. "You may want to remove your badge and, ah, place it in your pocket. It's sort of a trend here at the LA Prosecutor's Office. Not that you look unfashionable with it pinned to your coat like that, in fact it suits you. Forget I said anything. Now, I really should go; I don't want to make you late for your meeting, after all."
"Fair enough. Farewell, Mr Payne." He turned to head back into the elevator-he must have forgotten what he was doing here in the lobby.
"Farewell, Miss Chime." With that, he entered the elevator and left.

No sooner than he had left, then I heard a voice from the front door. "Oh, no! Mr Edgeworth is gonna kill me!" A woman came rushing into the lobby. She was wearing a light pink too, black skirt and a dark blue scarf. "Oh my goodness, I can't believe I was late for work AGAIN! I'm so sorry Mr Seption, my car-wait, who's that?" She gestured in my direction, having noticed me. She jogged up to my chair. "Hi! I'm Kay Faraday," she said, in her perky voice. "I haven't seen you around here before. Are you new?"
I was about to reply when I heard footsteps approaching. A man in a maroon suit had approached us. I knew it was the Chief Prosecutor, Miles Edgeworth. "Ah, Miss Faraday. I see you have met Miss Cornelia Chime. She has just transferred here from the London Prosecutor's Office," he explained. "Perhaps you could show her around the building after we've finished our meeting."
"Sure, I can do that," Kay replied. "Meet me back here when you're done," she added, turning to me.

After Kay left, Mr Edgeworth introduced himself and then we took the elevator up to his office on the 15th floor. He was very quiet in the elevator, and seemed to be focusing on something. I thought I heard him sigh with relief when the elevator reached the 15th floor. I followed him to his office, room 1501, and he unlocked it. It was a fancy room, and the view from the window was amazing. The city was like a forest of buildings.

Edgeworth and I sat on posh maroon couches opposite one another. A polished, wooden table sat between them.
"It is wonderful to meet you in person, Miss Chime. I have heard good things about you from Mr Poshe." Poshe was the Chief Prosecutor at the London office. He was proud of his profession, of the London Prosecutor's Office in general, and of those who worked there. He had said he was sorry to see me go, however he understood my reasons for leaving. He and Ecgeworth had had to communicate with each other a lot while my transferral paperwork was being completed and processed.
"I am pleased to be here, Mr Edgeworth. I wish to do all I dan to help in sorting out the legal crisis many call 'the dark age of the law'."
Mr Edgeworth frowned. The situation must be terribly stressful for him, I thought. "Indeed, it is a nightmare, and we need all the good, honest help we can get. I'm glad to have someone like you on board. You seem to have plenty of experience. I've looked over all your case reports. You've handled some very big cases."
"Yes, there have been some difficult ones, but the culprits were always found, and I believe the correct verdicts were always handed down. Finding the truth is always my top priority during a case, Mr Edgeworth."
He nodded and replied, "I agree completely. Although I must confess that there was a time when I believed finding any defendant guilty was my job as a prosecuting attorney, I left those ways behind  years ago."
I was surprised at this confession, for I had actually met Mr Edgeworth once before (clearly he did not remember me), although that was years ago as well. I couldn't imagine him thinking like that, even then. Thinking that winning a case was the most important thing to a prosecutor.
"Really? I honestly never would have imagined that. You may not remember this, but we actually met once before, when I was young. You were quite an inspiration to me, in fact." I took my wallet out of my coat pocket and slid a photo onto the table. Mr Edgeworth was in the lobby of a courthouse, and standing beside him, smiling into the camera, was a girl about eleven or twelve years old. Me.