1: an intrøspective beat

En başından başla

I thought of three reasons why I was nervous.

One, I haven't played the piano live in front of anyone other than my family. You know, Christmas gatherings and the like.

Two, this time I was gonna perform a song I wrote myself.

Three, Joshua was looking at me.

Breathe in, breathe out. Calm down Tyler, you can do this.

I started off rapping the first verse...

I'm taking over my body,
back in control, no more shotty
I bet a lot of me was lost,
't's uncrossed and 'i's undotted
I fought it a lot and it
seems a lot like flesh is all I got
Not anymore,
flesh out the door, SWAT.

And it seemed like I was imagining it, but I heard drums join in for the second verse. My head shot up for a moment, and I saw Joshua looking straight back at me, and grinned. He doesn't even know this song, how does he play along so well..?

I quickly directed my attention back to my song, only paying slight attention to the drums. It fit surprisingly well, and for the first time I actually thought my own song sounded quite good. I gained a little more confidence, and so did Joshua. We were both enjoying ourselves, it was visible from our faces, and the three teachers were caught somewhere between shock and delight.

-----

"But Pete, that was fcking good."
"What a match, Patrick!"
"Don't swear Brendon, we're still in school..."

Joshua shut the door behind us, and we could no longer hear the teachers. I wasn't too sure how long they took to complement us. Ten minutes? Fifteen? Half an hour...?

"Hey, um, Tyler right? Wanna go have lunch together?"

"Oh. Uh, sure."

Wait, we haven't had proper introductions...

"Oh right, I'm Tyler Joseph" I extended my hand for a handshake.

"Joshua Dun, but you can call me Josh." and he kinda shook my hand a little harder than I expected.

We walked our way to the canteen. Or rather he seemed to be just following me.

"You're new in school, Josh?"

"Yeah I moved here a week ago, started school only yesterday. Not familiar with how to get around."

"I'll show you around I suppose. After we've eaten."

"Great!" he smiled and so did I.

School food wasn't exactly the best, but not too bad. Ice cream was great, though.

"So Josh... How did you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Just now, it's like you knew the song I played."

"I simply listened to you and played along hahah, impromptu, whatever felt right."

Wow. Impressed. Not many people listen these days... All they do is hear. Some don't even know the difference between hearing and listening.

"That was really cool, you know? I never thought that song could sound that good."

"You're welcome haha. By the way, what song was that? Whoever wrote it is really talented, I really like it."

I think I was blushing.

"Oh uh... I... I wrote it... It's called Holding On To You."

And his mouth was open. "NICE!!!"

I laughed.

"Hahah um thanks I guess... Are you into that kind of weird music?"

"It's not weird, it's perfect! I'm sooooo into it." he grins. "What kinda music do you like?"

"I don't even know what genre I write, but I like it, sort of. Whatever it is... I'm still not sure what I like, but I suppose I'll tell you when I've figured that out..."

"If you had to name your own genre, what would you call it then?"

"Hmm..." I took a long moment to ponder about it.

"Alternative rock electropop emo piano rap boy"

:)

===============

It's my first fanfic sigh

I'm not too good at writing

Secondly, nope I don't really ship Joshler, I just think they're the bestest friends ever. I really envy their relationship sometimes. But still I'm writing this because why not. :D

Holy shit that's such a lie.

Lastly, I really wanted to write as close to real life as possible but I found that hard. So in this story, Josh and Tyler are both 15 years old and in school. I might name the school...when I think of something.

Honestly idk how schools in other countries work and I can't imagine it because I'm from Singapore and I'm fairly local (hehehehe) so I'm writing like it's sort of a school in Singapore (tho not as hardcore), and I won't be specifying where this story takes place. Imagine it's in your hometown if that makes you happy. XD