If At First You Don't Succeed

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

And then Rose led her back to the dressing closet to find period appropriate clothes.

Sutton twisted so that the loose fabric around her legs swished back and forth and admired the detailing on the bodice of the frock. The dress was a pale color, almost totally white, and had some lace and beading around the neck. It was the classic short waist and empire skirt style of the time and Sutton couldn't help but feel regal in it. Her hair was all pinned on tip of her head mirroring a Roman style and the curls actually seemed to be working to her advantage for once.

Lull him into a false sense of security, she told herself. Let him think you're totally distracted by meeting Jane Austen and then make a dive for that watch!

So it was acceptable, even vital, that she seemed excited for this trip. That would definitely be the only reason she seemed enthusiastic at all.

Rose was wearing a similar dress, though Sutton thought that Rose wore it better than she ever could. When Rose had finished pulling on a pair of long gloves she took Sutton's hand and dragged her back into the console room to meet up with the Doctor who, as usual, decided to just stick with his standard outfit. He smiled at them both when they came to a stop next to him, but his gaze lingered a bit longer on Rose.

"Well, are we all ready then?"

He offered his arm to Rose and she slipped her hand through it with a grin. Sutton shot them a tight, awkward smile and twiddled her fingers momentarily before moving to the door. It opened to reveal green English countryside. The blast of cool air that rushed through sent a chill down her back and goosebumps rising up on her skin. Nonetheless, she stepped out onto the grass and eyed the brick home that stood just before them.

"That's her house," Sutton chirped. "It is, isn't it? I think I might've seen it in a special once. Or it just looks like one of the houses from the Pride and Prejudice with Kiera Knightley. "

"Oh, I like the Mr. Darcy in tha' one," Rose said with a grin.

"His voice is magnificent."

The two girls snickered slightly as the Doctor rolled his eyes with a frown. He pushed ahead of them and gestured with his shoulder for them to follow.

"Come on, then. Do you lot want to meet Ms. Austen or not?"
Sutton and Rose shot each other a smirk and then moved to catch up with the ruffled time traveler.

Sutton immediately sobered when there weren't any outside influences to distract her from what this trip was really about: placating her. Rolling her shoulders, she eyed the Doctor's jacket. But she didn't really feel like a jump was coming. Her stomach was settled, her head was clear, and there wasn't a bit of tingling pain running through her limbs.

Funny how she suddenly wished that there was.

As they neared the home of one of earth's most famed romance authors, it was clear that it wasn't unoccupied. Muffled voices came from inside the home and was often accompanied by laughter and silhouettes shifted behind the couple windows that the home actually had. It appeared that the Doctor was planning on just walking up to the front door and inviting themselves in for tea, or whatnot. Sutton wrung her fingers together briefly as he rapped loudly on the door.

Sutton was actually holding her breath without realizing it when the door opened. It was an older woman who stood on the other side of the cracked open door. She was dressed much like she and Rose were, but held herself with a poise that had you suddenly trying to straighten your posture. She eyed them all curiously before directing her attention to the Doctor.

"Is there something I can help you with?"

"Well, I do hope so!"
The Doctor shot her one of his sunny smiles that were supposed to be charming. Sutton raised a brow as he dipped in quick bow and took the woman's hand.