Re-Discovered

(!) WARNING THIS MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THE STORY MONKEY'S PAW BY W.W.JACOBS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED (!)

It was dark. Nothing seen or heard. Only faint snoring and a flicker of light shone from under the security's room. Suddenly there was a switch flick heard and the light in the middle of the room blinked once. Twice. The light finally adjusted. The white holy light shone on the one and only Monkey's Paw.......

The old, immortal Fakir stepped out of the dark shadows and stepped closer to the Monkey's Paw. All of a sudden he started muttering in a hushed voice. It was definitely not English – perhaps Latin. An unusual eerie light started glowing around the glass caging the Monkey's Paw. Step by step the old man got closer to the paw-still muttering weird words. The floor boards creaked as he glided across it swiftly–his eyes focused on the hairy thing. An unnatural wind blew across the room and in process swishing his cape in a dramatic manner.

The glass started to lift as his voice got louder. Weird noises echoed across the hall. When the glass was high enough the monkeys was magically pulled out of its pedestal and towards the fakir, who had his hand outstretched, welcoming the paw. The glass was brought down carefully yet quickly. At the same time the fakir grabbed the paw and brought it to his chest.

Cradling it like a baby he sniffs the fur: smelling all the lives it has taken. Suddenly he froze and inhaled the air in an animal-like manner. Fire. Smoke. That is all he could detect. It couldn't be anything else- I mean who would be baking at this time of the night. He felt his throat start to clog because of the smoke. It was time to leave. With a concentrated face he whispers some words under his breath and swished his cape. Gone. No trace of him left. That sly old man......