"Now, what is the problem, Ash?" she asked, sitting in the next chair.

"I am worried about Niall," said the boy simply. "He is all upset and sad."

"Oh, Ash." Roisin reached out and lay a gentle hand on the boy's shoulder. "It was just a tiff, nothing more. Such things happen, even with the best of friends. It is not the end of the world. You know that, do you not?"

"Oh, yes," said Ash nodding vigorously. "I know that. I argue with Gerny and Sefton sometimes—mostly Gerny." The boy frowned. "But the thing is, Roisin, I am not sure that Niall knows it."

"What?" Roisin gave the boy a searching look. "What do you mean, Ash?"

"He was up early," explained Ash. "Even earlier than usual. And he did not eat any breakfast and didn't want to do lessons. He is really, really upset."

"I see." Roisin paused to consider. With another boy, she might think it was an exaggeration, but Ash was not one to embellish the truth. If it was anyone else, she would have wondered why such a relatively minor spat should cause such reaction. But this was Niall, whose experience with normal, healthy relationships was nil. It made sense, now that she considered it, and she was a bit upset with herself for not realizing  the possibility at the time. "Are you going home?"

"Well," said Ash slowly, "Niall said I could go see my friends."

"Go and see your friends, then," said Roisin. She rose and went for her cloak. "I will go up and see if I can make Niall feel better."

"Great!" Ash flashed her a grin.

In moments she had seen Ash off and went to harness her pony to the cart. It was unusually warm for February—the snow had melted several days ago, and the temperature was bearable. Frisky stepped out briskly, and needed little guidance, so Roisin had time to think.

Ash was remarkably astute for his age. If he wondered about Niall's state of mind, it was wise for her to heed his misgivings. Did Niall really think that their disagreement would cause an end to their friendship? She had to concede that it was possible. Actually, the more she considered it, the more likely it became.

After all, she knew his circumstances. Growing up as an orphan, he had been too busy trying to survive to build relationships. Osram's cult was the closest thing to a family Niall had ever known, and in the Scarlet Ossuary, she suspected, a disagreement would earn not only the severing of the relationship, but enmity.

The truth was, she had gotten the feeling that Niall was biting his tongue, metaphorically speaking, more and more often of late. A man of his intelligence had to have opinions and ideas, but if they differed from hers he was stifling them. She felt guilty now, because this last time she had quite deliberately goaded him into an argument, wanting him to express himself. It was good that he had, but now she saw that she should have considered this as a possible outcome.

Poor Niall. He was probably thinking that she hated him and that they were no longer friends. The very idea brought tears to her eyes. She had never intended to hurt him.

As she passed the front gate of his cottage she glanced up and saw Niall sitting on a bench next to his shed. Despite the chill, he wore no cloak and didn't look up or acknowledge that he even knew she had arrived. As she stopped the cart and stepped down, her heart clenched. His entire carriage screamed of loss and melancholia, worse than when he had first arrived. Frisky would have to wait for a bit, she decided, as she hurried toward him.

"Niall," she said gently, laying a hand on his shoulder as she sank down beside him. "Oh, Niall I am so very sorry."

"Roisin?" He raised his head to look at her and the surprise that layered over the stark expression of sorrow on his face nearly made her weep.