The Union (KITEP)

This is my one shot for the book 'Kissing Is The Easy Part' by rainbowbrook 
I don't know how many of you have read that book but if you haven't then please do check it out :) you will not regret reading it !

***

~The Union ~

Sean

It's been exactly a month since I graduated from MIT. I got all that I ever worked for except for one thing... Her

"Sean, are you ready? Jake and Dylan are waiting for you downstairs." Linda barged into my room unannounced and I frowned at what she was wearing.

"Didn't I tell you to dress a bit more comfortable?" I didn't want to offend her so I chose my words appropriately. My sister rolled her eyes at me and waved me off like what I said didn't matter to her even one bit.

"This is fashion brother, besides it's not like I am showing much skin." Linda twirled around in her turquoise cocktail dress while my eyes were fixated on the amount of skin that was shown but I knew better than to keep my shout.

Not wanting to make my friends wait more than necessary I pulled Linda down with me to the living room. Jake was busy talking to my parents while Dylan was busy flipping through the channels on TV.

"I can't believe that you all grew up; I would still like to believe that you are all in high school." My mother spoke with tears streaming down her eyes while my father was busy rubbing my mom's back.

We all chatted for a bit then decided that it was time for us to leave for the music academy awards. Janet had become a well known musician and she was going to receive an award tonight so we all decided to meet up for old time's sake. After High school got over we all stayed in touch during the first few months but gradually we drifted apart with an occasional greeting when time permitted.

I met Janet a year ago before she left for her 6 months music tour. Raymond and I had become close friends after the last senior party he had thrown for us. Jake was still a goof boy but Dylan had become more of a serious man after he had broken up with Sydney for the millionth time.

"I don't want to sound mushy but I am glad that we are going to have a reunion tonight all because of Janet. I missed you all so much." Jake wrapped his arms around me and Dylan for a hug.

Linda left us to go with her date. I still couldn't believe that Linda had a proper boyfriend. I liked to believe that was still little and innocent.

"And the award for the best artist goes to Leslie." A voice boomed over the microphone that grabbed my attention. Were my ears ringing? I thought I heard the name Leslie but it could be a coincidence right? There would be so many girls with the name Leslie in this world.

"Whoa! Oh man look at your ex standing in all her glory and getting her award." Dylan nudged me with his elbows while my throat went dry upon seeing Leslie whose eyes had somehow found me among the people in the crowd.

I wanted to believe that it was all a dream. After so many years, why now? Why did she have to be in this city? Wasn't she supposed to be in Austria and never come back? This was an award show for music so what were the odds of her not being in the city. I was being an idiot by over analyzing everything.

We all waited for Janet at to receive her award so we could surprise her backstage by cheering for her. We had lied to Janet by telling her that we were not in the city so we couldn't make it tonight for the awards ceremony.

"And the award for the people's choice award goes to Janet" Janet walked up and received the award while giving a heart-warming speech about us.

"I miss them all so much, I wish they were here with me but they would always be in my heart. This award is not just for me but for all the people who believed in me, especially my fiancé Brian." Janet kissed the award while everyone cheered for her.

She was about to make her way back but the announcer asked her to go backstage. As soon as she made her way to us, her hands flew to her mouth with tears rolling down her cheeks.

"SURPSRISE." We all rounded her and lifted her up. She was mumbling incoherent sentences and I chuckled at her face. Her mascara had fallen down so she looked like a raccoon.

"Congratulations Janet," Leslie spoke with a smile on her face.

"Thank you, congratulations to you too." Leslie didn't pay attention to Janet because her eyes were fixated on me. I wanted to pretend that she is not here; I wanted to walk away but what next?

"How have you been Sean? You look good." I don't know how she was talking softly to me like we were discussing the weather.

"Don't worry I am not going to manipulate you or talk to you into something that you don't want to. I am not sorry for whatever that had happened because then I wouldn't have got to know you; I have moved on from you with my life back in Austria. I hope for the best in life for you." Leslie nodded her head but I stopped her from going away.

"Thanks. It means a lot to know that we have no hard feelings for each other." I pulled her in for a hug then watched her walk away from me and away from my life.

"So if we are done with the sappy moments can we go out for dinner?" Jake rubbed his stomach for emphasis while Dylan gave him a dirty look.

"Would you guys mind waiting for some time? Brian is on the way so we can wait for him and Flor..." the rest of her sentence was blurred when I saw a goddess in the room.

She was dazzling in a metallic blue colored gown. She was the center of attention, making people turn their heads in her direction more than once.

Her eyes locked with mine and we stared at each other hypnotized. Time froze around us and so did my heart. Her warm eyes melted my frozen heart but I had an inner debate with myself to go up to her then I made my way towards her.

This was just like the old times during prom when we shared our last dance but the only difference now was that this wasn't prom and we no longer just teenagers. I didn't know if Flora was even single at the moment but I wanted to take a chance.

Did she want me to come to her? Does she want a final closure? Would there be a possibility of having a 'US?

"She is definitely single and ready to mingle. Flora is the one who had personally styled me for today's event and I thought my efforts of bringing her today would be a waste but I am glad you came here today Sean. Though you came for me, Life brought you back to Flora. GO." Janet nudged me. I looked at Dylan and Jake who grinned at me with thumbs up and motioned me to go.

As I took slow deliberate steps towards Flora I thought of all the things I wanted to say to her but nothing came out of my mouth. Memories of us together zapped like a slideshow while my fingers were craving to wrap themselves around her waist. I wanted to snuggle in the crook of her neck and inhale her scent.

"I...I...umm...I..." I rambled on that made flora laugh.

"Sean. Would you like to go out for a cup of coffee with me?"

A few years ago it was me who had asked the same line but now the roles were reversed.

"I thought you would never ask."

Flora looped her arms through mine and together we walked away to catch up with our old memories.

Who knows, we might even catch each other instead of just catching up with each other... for now, I just want to enjoy my moment with Flora my first and only love...

****

Hope you enjoyed this One - shot! I'm planning to turn this book into a one-shot book where I write all my one shots for all my favourite books :D

This book was just a solo book for my favourite author but now I'm going to publish one shots of all the books that I love â¡