Why did he look so unwell? What had he been doing all these days, she thought distractedly as he covered the last bit of distance between them.

And then he was unexpectedly close, gazing down at her with part wonder and part uncertainty, as if he was still not entirely sure that his mind wasn't playing tricks on him.

She felt surer than before that he shared her shock at the encounter. Was this meeting a coincidence? No, it couldn't be. She no longer believed their bond was forged in some heavenly dimension and was orchestrated on earth by a higher force. The truth was that their relationship was pitifully fragile and superficial. Not worth nurturing or mending.

But that conclusion didn't stop her from fervently staring at him.

She had forgotten how overwhelming his presence could be... how magnificent he was...how he could make her feel giddy and breathless with that ferociously intense gaze...

In the cool, damp stillness, an uncontrolled exhilaration swirled between them...within them...

**************************

In a daze, he hungrily absorbed the haunting beauty of her delicate features.

He cautiously reached out and gently grazed her cheek with an unsteady hand. Her skin was warm and soft. Captivated, he watched an exquisite colour burst and spread on her lovely face at the first touch of his fingertips.

Then without warning, she drew back sharply, severing the connection. She looked at him frostily, and then began to walk past him. Startled, he gripped her forearm and turned her around.

A flash of discomfort on her furious face told him he was holding her hand too roughly. He instantly let go of her arm, and she used the freedom to turn and dart towards the house.

"Nandini! Wait!" he said quickly, swiftly following her.

**********************

Nandini stopped abruptly in surprise as soon as she reached the corner of the house. A little out of breath, she gaped at the males approaching the door.

Uday Singh Rathod was just about to enter the porch. Sumer Singh was some feet behind him. The intimidating guard was back at his position near the gate, holding a folded umbrella. The rain had stopped, she realised absently.

The men also halted and gawked at her. Dumbfounded, she instinctively turned to Prithvi, and jumped slightly on seeing him right at her side. He seemed as baffled as her to see the men.

Uday Singh rapped the tip of his wooden cane once on the ground and groaned, "No, no! This was not how I envisioned your meeting!"

"You did this?"

"You did this?"

Rapidly conquering his surprise and disappointment, Uday studied the astounded couple. He'd been prepared for this twist in his plan, since he had put up Nandini in the guest house. But Prithvi wasn't supposed to have halted his search operations at this hour. According to Sumer Singh, he seldom returned to the house until night had fallen. For the pattern to break on this particular day, and for events to unfold in this manner... it was mystifying indeed...

Then again, the youngsters evidently shared an interesting connection by all accounts. Even now, they had asked the same question at the same time. However, there was a major contrast in the tones.