1

When I opened my eyes again, I was in the hearth of another office. I looked around, stepping off the ashes. My heels clacked against the marble floor as I walked towards the candle light. "Excuse me? Do you happen to know where Professor Dumbledore...oh, hello."

I extended my hand to the white-bearded man with startling blue eyes. He was wearing a blue cap with light blue robes. As he stood, I tried to keep myself from looking over him. My curiosity was notorious and accidental at the same time.

"My name is Valise Rosalind," I said, shaking the Professor's hand. "It's an utter pleasure to meet you."

"Albus Dumbledore, pleasure as well," said the Professor. His voice was breezy, simple. His smile was thin-lipped and friendly enough. We talked a bit before he walked towards a cabinet. He opened the door to it and brought a hat down. It looked like an ordinary witch or wizard's hat, but as I looked closer, I saw the distinct facial features and gasped.

"Is that the Sorting Hat, sir?" I asked, a little afraid. I had heard about the halls of Hogwarts: Gryffindor, the place for the brave, Ravenclaw, the place for the smart, Hufflepuff, the hodge-podge House, and Slytherin, the place for dark witches and wizards. I wanted to be in Gryffindor, and thought that had been entitled to me. But, alas.

"Indeed," said Professor Dumbledore simply with a smile. "May I?"

"Of course," I said, and he placed the hat atop my head. It's chatter started instantly.

"A Beauxbaton? Hm, interesting...A good heart, a good soul...how difficult to place this beauty..." I shuddered at the Hat's voice. "But I must decide...let's see. A smart one, with a lot of brain capacity, but the makings of a great witch. A great witch. Definitely not a Hufflepuff, I'm afraid. Perhaps a Ravenclaw? No, I see her going another way..."

My breathing hitched. There were only two Houses left: Gryffindor and Slytherin. "Please," I muttered. "Not Slytherin."

"Not Slytherin, you say? Hm, how interesting. You could be great, you know. An amazing witch to add to the cause. But, if you say so, I must put you in...Gryffindor!"

A sigh of relief etched through my lips. Professor Dumbledore took the Hat from my head, giving me a look of curiosity. "Perhaps you are a strong witch," he observed. "The Sorting Hat is not usually persuaded. The only person who has done that before was Harry Potter."

"Harry Potter?" I asked, in shock. The Boy who Lived went to Hogwarts? If anything, I thought he attended Durmstrang, not Hogwarts. "What House is he in?" I asked.

"The same as your's, my dear," Dumbledore said breezily. "Now, I shall call someone to aid you to Gryffindor dorm. Please sit." I sat obediently and smoothed out my dress. I wondered what time it was by now, and also wondered who would be here to retrieve me and bring me to Gryffindor. I watched as Dumbledore fussed around. Finally, he turned to me and smiled.

"Ronald Weasley will be your guide for tonight, Madame Rosalind-"

"Please, call me Valise, or Val."

"Very well, Valise. But anyway, Mr. Ronald Weasley will be your guide for tonight. Follow him and he will get you to Gryffindor House safely. Tomorrow morning, you and he shall tour the castle together, and you will be ready to start school by the next day. Have a pleasant stay, my dear, and please, do come back if you need or want to. My door is always open. Figuratively, that is." He winked, smiling, and the door opened.

"'Evening, Professor," said the voice of a lanky red-haired boy. He had a dash of feckless across his long, angular nose. He turned to me and smiled at me through warm brown eyes. "My name is Ron. Nice to meet you."