Dream Girls: Piper Chapter 6

Start from the beginning

I looked up to his face and was met with the most amazing blue eyes. His eyes looked like one of my favorite post cards. It was one Stephanie had sent me when she and her parents went to the Virgin Islands. The water was a perfect blue-green that looked so inviting.

His black cowboy hat hid his hair, but I could see the longer pieces, the pieces that curled just beneath. That figured to be a lethal combination in my book... black curls that I could run my fingers through, blue eyes, and over six feet of muscled perfection.

"Are you ready? I hope you don't mind. I made dinner reservations, and then, I thought we could catch a movie." He interrupted my staring and I blinked up to meet his blue gaze.

So this was a real date. I'd just figured we would go back to his place or a bar. "Yeah, sounds awesome. I'm hungry, so that's perfect."

"Great, I'm just parked out front."

He led me to his truck. There was no way I was going to be able to get up into the thing without help. I'd never dated anyone who drove something so manly. It turned me on a little bit.

Opening the door, he took my hand, leading me up into the vehicle. "Up you go. Watch your step."

I giggled. "This thing is huge. Is this your way of getting the girls to let you touch them, by helping them in?"

"No, I need a rig like this for the ranch."

"I was just kidding. Chill." I laughed.

"I know you were joking. I was just letting you know that I really use this thing every day."

"So what do you ranch?"

"Cattle."

"Do you like it?"

"Yeah, I love it. Our ranch has been in my family for over a hundred years, so it means a lot to me. We have just over three thousand acres."

"Wow. That's impressive."

"It's decent."

"Do you live on the ranch?" He chuckled at my question. I guess I was showing my nonexistent knowledge of ranching.

"Yes, I built my own house last year, and my folks live in the main house. We have three bunk houses for the ranch hands to live in."

"You built your own house?"

He nodded. "Corey and I designed it, and he helped me with construction. It took a little longer than planned, but we did almost all of the work ourselves."

"That's awesome. I'm not very good at building stuff, but I can draw a little bit." I laughed.

"I'm no artist, but I can get by with structures. So, what are you going to college for?"

"I'm a business major."

"You can do almost anything with a business degree now-a-days."

"Did you go to school?"

"I did. I just graduated last May."

"For?"

"Ag Business," he said. "It helps that I own my own ranch already."

"I bet it does."

His facial expression turned more serious. "My dad is getting older and wants to retire soon, so I'll be taking over before too long. I love it, but it's a lot of work."