Chapter Twenty- Reality of it All

Начните с самого начала

I nodded, raising my eyebrows and smiling in the process, "I bet."

Her lips pressed in a hard line before she spoke again, "Please, take a seat."

Both of us graciously sat down, Eric taking the last seat on the left and me sitting to left of him. Next to me was Lauren, and Max sat next to her. The two seats next to Max stayed empty.

"The other two leaders are not going to be here today. There was an emergency at the fence. I will let them know all of the updates when they come back," Max said gruffly.

Jeanine nodded before sitting down in Max's chair, "That's alright, today is just a brief update on the plan at hand. The 'tracker device' for the Dauntless members is all ready to go, and will be shipped here the morning of the last day of the third stage. The injection will take place after the rankings are concluded and posted..."

Everyone was listening carefully, taking in all of the information. Honestly, there was a lot of it. I got tired of her voice fairly quickly, but forced myself to hear her out.

"...however, the serum for the Divergents is slowly making progress. The serum shows some of the same functions as the 'tracker device'; it can put them in a brainless state and allows us to control what we do with them. However, it takes a minute to sink in, and only lasts for about five minutes, seven being the most it has shown in the tests. Today, we have a live test for you to witness what this serum can do to a Divergent."

The door was slammed open by one of Max's body guards. While he kept the door open, the other bodyguard dragged a Factionless man into the room.

"This is Malcolm," Jeanine started. "We took him in a couple days ago and put him under an aptitude test. His tests were inconclusive, and has agreed to show you what this serum can do."

I studied Malcolm as he was led to the metal testing table. His grey clothes were ripped and caked with dirt, but it still managed to cover him. His hair was tousled and his eyes were droopy. It looked as if the bags under his eyes were trying to bring the eyelid down with them.

The bodyguard pushed him up against the table as the other one swiftly shut the door and strapped the straps around him tight enough to wear he couldn't budge.

He was oddly calm as all of this was happening. I expected him to be thrashing and screaming, maybe even trying to kill us since we were in a Faction and he wasn't. But he didn't move at all.

After he was strapped in and ready to go, Jeanine filled a syringe with a clear liquid. She flicked it near the bottom to get rid of any air bubbles that came up. Once finished she swiftly went over to Malcolm and placed the needle in his neck, injecting the liquid quickly and pulling it out to set it on a metal tray. It looked as if she did this on a regular basis.

"It will take about a minute to go through his system. We are still trying to figure out how to make the effect stand as long as the 'tracker device' we are using for our Dauntless soldiers. We can't tell you how long it will take, so on the day of action any Divergents that make themselves known will have to be shot and killed."

The serum immediately showed a dramatic change in his physical appearance. His head rose up and his top eyelids opened fully, showing off his light brown eyes. His gaze was dull, and the bags under his eyes sagged even more than they did before. Jeanine snapped her fingers a couple times in front of him. No response.

"As you can see, both the 'tracker device' and the Divergent serum will work in the same way. After it is injected we will be able to control them through the computer that is going to be set up in the upper levels of the compound. I have already set a schedule up that will be typed into the computer and put into action," Jeanine explained before making her way back to the desk, opening the file she brought and passed out a schedule to Eric and Max.