A Great Mother No Matter What

(Michael)
Why does Monday come before Tuesday?
Why do summers start in June?
Why do winters come too soon?
Why do people fall in love
When they're always breaking up?
Oh, why?
Why do we love if love will die?

(Michael & Taryll)
Why does Wednesday come after Tuesday?
Why do flowers come in May?
Why does springtime go away?
Why do people fall in love
When they're always breaking up?
Oh, why?
Why do I love you? Tell me why

~Michael Jackson feat. 3T, Why

It was Saturday. Overcast and a little bit cold. But Kaiba didn't mind this a bit. He was, after all, wearing the warmest clothes he'd picked out of his closet — a black turtleneck, black slacks, and black boots with a high heel in the back. Covering the turtleneck and all zipped up was his favorite winter coat. It was the color of his favorite Duel Monster card — namely, the Blue Eyes White Dragon.
So, wearing all those clothes, he was perfectly fine and able to stay warm.

He was heading to 1630 Revello Drive. There were houses there. But none of them caught his attention and held it for so long like one of them did.

It was the house that belonged to none other than Joyce Summers, mother of Buffy Summers.

Finally, Kaiba was right in front of the door he had knocked on so many times before. In front of his feet was the threshold that Joyce and Buffy had invited him to cross over so many times before, usually at Thanksgiving (as he had tried turkey once before when his own mother, alas now dead, had brought it home from the grocery store, and had since developed a liking for it) and Christmastime (as Buffy usually smiled at him, full of good cheer, and assured him he was welcome, and even added no one should be alone on Christmas).

Then before he raised his hand to knock, the door suddenly opened, and there stood Joyce. For the first time, it was just her.

Alone. 

Without her daughter.

Kaiba didn't need words to tell him exactly what it was that had transpired. Buffy was gone. She had run off to Los Angeles.

"Please, Seto, come on in."

"Thank you, Ms. Summers."

Joyce grinned. "Please, call me Joyce."

Her melodic voice almost brought tears to Kaiba's eyes as he stepped over the threshold and Joyce closed the door behind him. He then chose a cream-colored leather couch and sat down, and Joyce joined him. He then noticed the sadness, the guilt, the fear and the anger in those lovely chocolate eyes of hers.

Just like my mother, he thought.

Joyce had long since heard about Kaiba's family history, including what his mother had been like. However, there was one question she had always wanted to ask him — namely, whether or not his parents were still married when they had died. She had been wondering about that whenever Kaiba had asked her about her own mother and what she had been like. She remembered laughing while recalling those antics of hers as a kid (such as playing dress-up with her mom's clothes after her mom told her not to do so, and how her mother had simply laughed after finding out and told her that she was kidding) and also crying (such as when she had heard of her mother's death, as she and her mother had been very close, almost as if they really were sisters rather than mother and daughter). Joyce even told him that she and her mother did have fights, but rarely anything major.

Finally, Kaiba then asked the one question she had been waiting for him to come up with the whole time.

"Joyce, I've heard from Buffy about how you and her dad... divorced. What was that like for you?"