When asked how much of a story our members write before they publish, the majority said only a couple chapters. And as for planning, the authors discussed the importance of thinking ahead.

JunieWeathers says: I know I really need to plan out my entire book and write the first arc because that's when I've had the best luck with writing, but sometimes, I just get so excited that I don't have many chapters written out or have the story planned whatsoever.

FoxyPuff says: I plan at least the basic outline of the whole thing. But I like to get specific notes for the first arc before I begin

But when it comes to planning, What comes first? You have a whole story ahead of you, which can be an incredibly daunting task. But the authors gave their input of what they plan first...

sd1229 says: The conflict! I love a juicy story with lots of internal and external conflict.

FoxyPuff says: I consider the climax first, then I begin working my way back and thinking about all the things that need to happen first in order to get there.

When it finally comes down to writing that first chapter, you have so many options for how to do your exposition. But many authors write expositions in different ways that can all be effective. It all comes down to your commitment to your style. Here are some things that our members do:

FoxyPuff says: I used to do an info-dump sort of backstory, which I have no problem with reading tbh. I know people steer you away from those, but it's an effective way, especially in fanfiction, to make sure the audience has all the information they need to start the story. However, I've been toying around with making a semi-connected first chapter from somebody else's point of view to show the impact of the antagonist so the readers care about it. And then that gets brought back around later when the main characters find out about this side character who experienced everything. I just think it's a neat concept.

sd1229 says: Exposition, getting a glimpse at the MC and their life, how they ended up where they are in the first chapter. Plus I start leading up to the main issue.

We hope that this section has given you a good idea of the first few steps of writing and eases your mind knowing that every author has a different process. Stick to what works for you, and write the book that you want to read!

We can't wait to see the great things you create!

Ask the Pro Hero

Our Pro Heroes of the server; aBitGrim, FoxyPuff, and tocoloco004; would like to open up the space to ask them questions. If you have a question for them, feel free to ask and they will provide their best answers!

Q: What is the best April Fools Prank you've ever pulled? If you've never pulled an April Fools Prank on anyone, then what is one you'd like to do?

Grim: I've never pulled a real prank, but I remember my dad really liking April Fools pranks; growing up, he'd tell me all sorts of crazy things and I'd totally believe him 😅

Foxy: In our French classes in middle school, we learned about the tradition where they would also people with a fish (pêche d'avril) and so during class on April first, we'd color and cut out paper fishes, and our teacher would usher us out of the class telling us to tape them to the backs of the kids in the Spanish classes. That's always been a fond memory for me

Toco: I haven't pulled any pranks, mainly due to my inability to keep a straight face 😅 so I've kinda just given up

Q: Dunkin or Starbucks?

Grim: Dunkin for sure!

Foxy: Dunkin all the way!! I am a Boston girlie through-and-through

Toco: Dunkin !!

Book Recommendations

Our community is full of creative perspectives, whether it be writing, art, or reading! Lots of our members are avid readers who would like to share their recommendations with you.

Wattpad books:

All That I Am by sun_jin

"All That I Am by Sunjin is a fantastic read!! It's currently being redone, but that only assures me that SJ will rewrite their book better than ever. The first draft was an incredibly interesting and exciting story that left me in love with every new character that came along!"

~aBitGrim

Kita's Legacy by sd1229

"Because I wrote it and I think it's a pretty good read😜"

~sd1229

Off-Site Books:

Percy Jackson and the Olympians (physical book) by Rick Riordan

"I recommend Percy Jackson and the Olympians because it offers an engaging and entertaining blend of Greek mythology and modern-day settings. The series follows the adventures of Percy Jackson, a relatable protagonist who discovers he is a demigod. The books bring Greek myths to life, making them accessible and relevant. With fast-paced plots, witty characters, and important themes of friendship and self-belief!"

~Kyrpto

Future Events

We are gearing up for our fourth annual Sports Festival! Volunteers and competitors will be recruited in the next few months, so keep an eye out!

Review Book

If you are interested in having your book reviewed by the members of the server, check out our review book for sample reviews and submit a form for your own story!

Farewell

We hope you have a wonderful month! And remember to always go PLUS ULTRA!