Chapter 5

As we approached, several tables popped up. On them were pieces of paper, and on each of them was a riddle" I guess we have to answer the riddles correctly or else those lasers will get us." he points in the direction and I squint into the darkness he's right there are lasers. We moved to the first table" I am taken from a mine, and shut up in a wooden case, from which I am never released, and yet I am used by almost everybody and I am the most useful in schools. What am I?" it said "used by everybody... what is used by everybody? in schools?" Ian asks then it hits me" Pencil lead!" I say the lasers move back. We continue onto the next table"  What is black when you buy it, red when you use it, and grey when you throw it away?" it said I racked my brains but Ian shouted almost instantly" CHARCOAL!" I looked at him in surprise" My family always uses it." he explained- my family doesn't use charcoal but we use radiators I guess charcoal is less expensive I opened my mouth to say well done but he was already on the next table" The more you take away from me the more I have. What am I?" I know this one, my friend has holes in her carpet and she picks at them and they get bigger each time" A hole." I say then moved to the next table" I melt snow, I turn polar bears yellow, I turn the clock around, what am I?" we really had to think for this one. Age? No, that doesn't turn a clock and I'm scared to say the wrong answer because I don't want to get killed I saw Ian open his mouth a surge of relief flooded over me Ian knew the answer! But then as if in slow motion I heard him say" Age." the relief was gone. The lasers pointed to him, he opened as if he wanted to tell me something but then the red beam of light hit him. I might never know what he wanted to tell me if I don't answer now. Shakily I said" Time." then instantly bended down to do the chest compression. One... Two... Three... then I pressed my lips to his and breathed out one... two... three... again and again. Finally he sneezed and sat up.