Anyway, he then had her help him with yard work. Cam, figuring since she'd eaten his food the least she could do was assist him with some plants again had an easy time learning what he was showing.

And that's when she signed her warrant for capture.

Old man Lu wouldn't let her leave, he insisted she stay and learn from him. Despite her mentioning school and well, not mentioning her need to eat and drink while loud music played, she tried to run but then her school called the actual dean. Someone, she never thought she would meet told her Old man Lu was great mentor and she should stay and learn from him.

Shocked, she'd called her family surely they'd have a problem with it. Her father, mid pushup told her he was excited for her emersion in another culture and how learning a new language would be good for her military career. Then her mother, who was in the garden helping grandma plant a few trees shouted that maybe she could also get some planting secrets as old man Lu had sent some seeds to her grandmother and her.

Betrayed by her family Cam Freeman found herself stuck in asia learning how to fight, and grow plants and in her rush to learn it. The old man seemed impressed but then he invites some other old guy called Mo. Old dude Mo also had some strange need to teach her, and she'd been so close to running only for that man to grab her up and drag her to the woods and force her to scavenge, hunt and for some odd reason treat people.

She was a communications student.

Why was she learning about the health aspects of ginseng, and how to identify poisonous mushrooms. Wasn't a grocery store down the street?

Through this her friend Hyojin eagerly shared her favorite novel with her based on a fake dynasty. To escape from reality, Cam found herself eagerly reading along with her friend.

It was her luck that after being there for four years she was finally able to go home only for her plane to descend in fiery flames.

And wake up in the body of skinny, brown skinned girl peasant.

Usually didn't the gods only send like for like.

She was American?

An African American?!

What was she doing here?!

Someone please call the Jade emperor, Oye, Jesus, heck any of the Voodoo or Hoodoo baddies.

Why was she here?!

She wasn't some cold-hearted secret agent who twilights as some doctor.

Nor was she some secret genius (debatable) she wanted soul food, collard greens, yams, and some of her grandmas macaroni cheese!

Instead, Cam woke up in a dilapidated hut in a village filled with commoner farmers, to the sound of someone cursing her outside.

"That Jinx is the reason my sheep died. If I don't take her life today I won't rest!"

The stench of her unwashed body filled her nostrils making Cam groan followed by her head feeling like someone cracked it open. Memories flooded her mind and she found that she'd taken the body of a teenager named Yuechan Gou, 15 years old. An orphan who's scholar father and caring mother died in an earthquake leaving her in her female hating aunts hand.

 The woman had done everything from beating, cursing and over working the girl until the girl who'd once been soft skinned  had become hard skinned, skinny nearly skeletal and damaged spiritually. It wasn't surprising she'd gone to mountains found poisonous mushrooms and crawling into this hut ate them and died.

Cam had hoped that closing her eyes would reverse things, but it didn't. 

deciding to get her bearings she ignored the shouting and shuffled through the memories. And when she spotted the memory with the Dynasty name she rolled over and pressed her forehead into the dirt floor.

"The Duan Dynasty," the fake dynasty that had existed in the fantasy novel she'd been reading. "Hyojin, I swear I'm going to beat you up in the afterlife."

After her pity party she could only adapt and by adapting she meant getting up and walking out.

"Shut up," she shouted at the yelling woman.

 Aunt He Gou expression tightened in shock. 

"You call me a Jinx, then you're a jinx. Every person who ever associated with you always gets a headache. Maybe you're cursed by a headache ghost."

The villagers who'd come to see what was happening all burst in laughter.

Aunt Gou narrowed her eyes on the girl in front of her. "How dare you talk to an Elder like that, I've been nothing but caring to you despite your fate killing your parents and costing your brother his legs."

"Oh, then kick me and my brother out. If you do that, then I'll never darken your door again."

"You—," Aunt Gou took a step forward. "You are being unfilial. Why would we kick you out, it be going against your grandparents losing them face."

Cam snorted, "I'm not the one costing them face by shouting like a crazy woman outside of a hut."

With that she walked back inside and slammed the door shut.

The Villagers along with Aunt Gou were surprised the girl had always been meek in the face of others. To suddenly be faced with her fierceness had thrown a few of them off.

The door opened again, and the girl stepped outside again and this time she was carrying a large basket.

"Where do you think you famine bringing bastard are going?!"

Cam rolled her eyes, "Weren't you shouting like a boar because I didn't get you firewood. I'm going to gather some."

"You brat," Aunt Gou stepped forward to grab her only for one of the other women to stop her.

"Enough, the girl is going to get what you asked for. You're causing a scene, go home and wait for her to return."

Aunt Gou was forced to watch the girl walk off and sneered. She'd get the little brat when she got home. 

TBC.