18 : where is she?

Zacznij od początku

As I walked into the parking lot, I could hear the thunder rumbling and see the rain pouring down. It was raining hard and I got drenched in no time, but I couldn't care less about being wet. My mind was racing, thinking only about one thing: finding out where on earth my wife had gone?

Take a deep breath, Rahil! Stay calm and think carefully. Where could she possibly go?

In a flash of realization, I remembered Laila. With a sense of urgency, I dialed her number. At first, there was no response, but I didn't give up. I called her again, and this time, she answered.

"Heyy Laila, is Ayezah with you?" I blurted out.

" Heyy Rahil jij....yess Ayezah is with me." Her words felt like a balm to my anxious soul.

I closed my eyes, letting out a sigh of relief, feeling the tension in my heart ease, and my chest rise and fall with each calming breath.

"Okay, where are you guys? Why did you leave so suddenly? Why didn't Ayezah inform me? And why isn't she picking up her goddamn phone?" I bombarded Laila with questions, my tone tinged with anger at the end, a result of the panic and worry that had consumed me.

" We're at my apartment...Ayezah is staying with me tonight. You see, I wasn't feeling too well...so we had to leave in a hurry. Unfortunately, Ayezah didn't get a chance to inform you and her phone is dead as well."

"Oh, are you okay?" I asked.

" Oh yes, yes! It's just a pesky fever, nothing more. And don't worry, Ayezah is perfectly fine too."

"Can I talk to her? Could you pass the phone to her? " I requested.

There was a brief silence before Laila responded, "Oh, she's in the washroom at the moment. She'll give you a call once her phone is charged.....Alright, Rahil jij, I need to get some rest. I'm really tired. You should head home too and drive safely, okay?" Before I could say anything else, the call abruptly ended.

A frown crept upon my face as something felt off. Laila's voice and behavior seemed peculiar, but I brushed it aside anyway.

Today, Ayezah is staying with Laila, and that thought made me a bit gloomy.

"It's okay," I reassured myself.

"she'll call once her phone is charged. Now, stop acting like a darn toddler and get moving." with a sigh, I made my way to the car and drove back home.

— ★

I showered and changed into fresh warm clothes.

With a lazy motion, I reached for the towel and lazily rubbed it through my damp hair.

As I settled onto the bed, memories of Ayezah drying my hair earlier flooded my mind, a bittersweet reminder of her absence. I couldn't help but let out a groan, feeling the ache of missing her already.

I knew that Laila needed her, but I need her too. Her presence had become an integral part of my life, and the thought of spending even a single night without her felt unimaginable.

Since she moved into my room, my heart had been filled with an overwhelming happiness, and I never anticipated a day where she wouldn't be by my side, peacefully sleeping.

With a frustrated sigh, I tossed the towel aside and let myself collapse onto the bed, my arms sprawled out and my body sinking into the mattress.

I lay there, gazing up at the ceiling, lost in thoughts, more like her thoughts.

The wind outside howled and the distant rumble of thunder added to my already gloomy mood, making it even gloomier.

I reached for my phone on the bedside table,
while still lying in the middle of the bed, and called Ayezah.