Chapter 4

Chapter 4: Cake

Chapter 4: Cake

Working for another day, wonderful isn't it? However, on your part, you're getting quite used to the creepy faces that the doppelgangers do, especially when they fail to copy the original persons appearance. It's really that easy to distinguish. Sometimes, it would make you laugh at how dumb these doppelgangers, but you never showed that amusement to them because you fear that you might get them angry.

Francis' doppelganger from the other day that talked to you and threatened to devour still leaves a mild trauma, and you're just avoiding to experience that part again. Especially, your job takes a lot of bravery to do.

You checked the list of today's people that you're going to be expecting to see. And, to be honest, during these day few days, you've been frequently seeing Francis, he's been going out recently, and when he does stand in front of your window, he would sometimes space out and would stare at you, and when he does realize it he would just shook his head and reason that he's tired from work.

None of it that bothers you, he's a nice quiet guy.

Or is he?

You never really wanted to get close to your neighbors in fear of getting attached to any of them. You're the type of person to do that most of the times after all. So, to not cause any depression in your further more, you do the best you can to just keep it civilized with your neighbors.

And, just as you expect, from this time of hour today, Francis was the first person to show up on your window. You smiled at him but that smile quickly disappeared when you saw how his eyes were glaring straight right with yours. It's like... he's already trying to murder you inside his head.

Despite the tired eyes and the perfect copy of the milkman, you can see that this wasn't him, especially with that stare that clearly shows a murderous intent. 

"Nope!" You said as you quickly close the window.

However, when you were about to contact D.D.D, the doppelganger punched the metallic door, and you stare if fear when you saw that his punch made a dent. 

"You're fucking smart... I'll be back for you..."

The doppelganger's voice said, it wasn't a shout but you can clearly hear it. He was close at the metallic door.

You immediately contacted the number.

After a few minutes of the alarm, the metallic door was finally opened to reveal Rev. He looked at you in worry.

"(Y/n), where's the doppelganger?" He asked. 

Your heart just dropped at that information.

.

.

.

Rev was inside the room with you as you explained what had happened. He was really empathetic, and he was emotionally intelligent, he had somewhat calmed you down for the face that it reminded you of an old friend in high school. The was he settled you down and talked to you about what happened was something your old friend would always do.

After a few set of minutes sits in, someone walked in and stood in front of your window.

It was Francis.

You quickly walk towards you seat and greeted him. However, unlike the first doppelganger that entered, Francis didn't looked at you like he usually do. His gaze went straight towards Francis who was standing right behind your seat. He's stare was a bit long than it should've.

The man was tall, so he stood there like he's some sort of your body guard. 

Francis then slowly give his gaze back to you, and spoke, "Morning," He said in a quiet voice.

With him greeting you, your heart somewhat leaped out in relief as you sigh deeply, "Morning, Francis. Thank god.." You said as you muttered the last part. 

Francis' gaze went back to Rev who also stared at him with his arms crossed against his chest as he silently watched. While looking at each other, Francis provided his paper and ID in silence. 

You checked it, and everything was all correct and according to it's original information.

"All good! You're good to go," You said to him as you smiled. 

"Mmm... Before I go to my apartment, I would like to give you something." Francis said as he nod his head to the side. The door that leads towards your office was just a few meters away from the main door of the apartment.

That's the only way for him to give you something he has for you. 

You looked back at Rev as he takes a few steps back for you to push back your chair so you could stand up. You watched as Francis walked inside as you swiftly pushed the close button and walked towards the door.

When you opened it, there, Francis was standing with a white box on his hands. It even has a (Fav/c) ribbon neatly placed on top of the white box. 

And you were not expecting for the milkman to be tall and well-built. Though, his form was a bit smaller than Rev who took a relaxing seat on your red beanbag.

"Oh? What's this?" You asked as you slightly tilted your head to the side.

"A cake," Francis quietly replied as he kept his gaze onto yours, noticing that your eyes were fixated at the box he has at hand.

"For what occasion?" You asked him.

"It's suppose to be for me. But, mmm... I don't like too much sugar." He answered quietly, "And you're the only person I could think of giving it to. Uhm, take it as a gratitude of mine to your hard work at keeping the apartment safe." He also added as he softly handed you the box of cake. 

You couldn't say no to free food, especially when it's a cake! So, you took it with a smile, "Thanks, Francis!" You said. 

Francis quietly nodded.

Then there's an awkward silent, it lasted for a few moments until someone walked in and stood in front of the window, that's where you broke the awkward silence.

"I should get back to work," You said as you give him an apologetic smile. 

He nodded quietly and walked away from your door. You quietly closed it and smiled to yourself as you put the cake at your little dining table.

"Hey, (Y/n), can I have some cake?" Rev asked as he walk towards the little dining table.

However, you walk towards your work desk, you thought of something as you completely ignored what Rev had asked.

'That's nice of him! Coincidentally getting my favorite right with the ribbon!'

| To be continued...