Ty

~Three Years Later~

{I should probably include the fact that Sky is now 12, Ty is 11, and Mitch and Jerome are 12.}

I stare at the carved stone ceiling of my room, thoughts leaking in about the day. We have plenty of food and wood, and my mind does a mental inventory. It's the way I do things, and always have. I hear muffled snores and smile to myself, glad the snores have replaced sobs.
For a long time Sky and Jerome would have nightmares. Mitch and I would comfort them, but slowly they stopped and Sky got a little less scared of everything, and Jerome made new attachments.
Mitch and Jerome are like brothers now and the same goes for me and Sky.
My thoughts are wandering as I fall into a half dream state, half awake.

"Are you sure it's them?"

"Very sure. How else would we know?"

"Just checking. Others have messed up before us."

"I am aware of that. But I am sure. Can you not feel it?"

"I do, I do, fine. Alright, just mark him. Then we shall mark the others."

I see a bright white light, darkened only by a flash of red and black and then part of my wrist is on fire. It burns but I can't move, I can't scream, I can only hear through the pain as it crescendos then fades into a dull throb.

"They will understand in time..." The light is fading and I gasp for air, to find I can move again, and slowly exhaustion and pain takes over and I sleep.