Just when she was about to throw caution to the wind and enter the clock tower herself, there was a knock at the window. Through her sunglasses, she spotted a boy who looked about her age wearing anything but normal San Marco's day clothing. The red of his eyes made a chill creep up her spine, and when he gestured for her to roll down the window, she did.

"Bongiorno?" she said with a nervous chuckle, absolutist butchering the Italian greeting.

The boy's head tilted slightly, a smirk toying at his lips as he seemed to analyze her. "I've been sent to collect you," the nameless boy said, proceeding to open the car door for her, "Augustine Cullen, yes?"

She took her glasses off. "Whose asking?" she questioned, watching with skepticism as he put his hand forward for her to take.

"The Volturi Kings demand your presence," he stated, "and we wouldn't want to keep them waiting, topolina."

Augustine's nose shriveled despite her now raging nervousness, putting her hand in his begrudgingly. "I don't even wanna know what you just said," she started, letting him lift her from the vehicle, abandoning her scarf first before he then proceeded to grab her wrist, guiding her into the nearby alleyway. "But, if you know my name, can't I know yours?"

"Alec," came his short reply, all but dragging her along with him.

Her eyes made eye contact with the pendant around his neck. "And I'm assuming you work for the people in charge?"

"You'd be correct," he responded, observing her with his own eyes too. They merely scrutinized one another as Alec led them into a large hallway that had two brass doors at the very end. Even from where they were, Augustine could hear voices, both familiar and not.

Alec let go of her wrist to open the large doors, simply nudging her inside before the closed behind them.

Augustine suddenly felt very underdressed as she meekly looked at the dozen other vampires in the room. Many of which were lined around the walls, but the ones dressed like Alec were scattered about; one of which had his hand around Edward's neck.

There was a man at the centre of the room whose very presence commanded attention, and that's exactly what he got when Augustine's eyes landed on him. She almost missed the other two older vampires seated upon some thrones when he shrieked in delight, gesturing for Alec to bring her forward. "Ah! You must be the lovely Augustine!"

The ravenette shot a pleading glance to Alice, who she noticed had taken her glove off and was looking on with sorrowful eyes. She also glanced the cracks in the marbled flooring and the way Edward was sporting wounds of his own, and she immediately knew what had gone down.

And she also knew that this man before her was Aro.

Alec pushed her forward so she was stood in front of this man with sleek black hair. Alice was stood beside Bella to her left as the man peered down at the younger vampire. "I have seen your incredible talents through Alice's thoughts," he mused, somewhat of a whimsical smile on his pale face. "And when I saw that you too had come to your brother's rescue, I simply had to meet you. You understand, yes?"

He put his hand forward, his eyes darting to her own. Looking to Alice, the girl nodded and signalled that yes, she had to let him hold her hand. Putting her hand forward as she nodded, Aro clasped it in both of his.

She felt a feint prodding in her brain, almost like an intrusion, and she had a feeling that it was him digging around in her brain. Augustine looked at him uneasily, wondering what exactly he was seeing.

Unbeknownst to her, he'd seen everything.

He sighed contently, releasing her hand from his grasp. "Very interesting," he said thoughtfully, the corner of his mouth pulled up, "the ability to manipulate the world around you... you would certainly be cherished here."

It was an invitation, one that was crystal clear: join us.

She laughed nervously, slapping a hand over her mouth when the sound echoed. "Uh, with all due respect, Mr Volturi," she started, wrapping her arms around her middle as she gave him an awkward smile, "this is only my second year of being, y'know, undead, so maybe in a couple years— if that's okay?"

She was trying to be as polite as possible, given that this was the King of the vampires and he had basically just offered her a job in his elite coven. Not only did she not want to relocate to this ancient Italian city, she also didn't want to work among these red-eyed vampires.

She caught Edward nodding out of the corner of her eye; he knew she was just trying to buy time and save her own ass at the same time.

Aro nodded, almost mournfully. "Very well, my dear," he said, then turned one last time to the human in the room. "You may go— make your preparations."

Preparations? What the hell did I miss? Augustine questioned internally, hoping that Edward would be able to answer once they got the hell out of this place.

"Thank you for your visit," an older looking vampire, standing from his throne, said.

Then, the blond one still seated at his throne spoke. "We will return the favour. I would advise that you follow through on your promise soon; we do not offer second chances."

Soon, Alice was leading the four visitors back out the door. Augustine felt eyes on her, her gaze zeroing in on Alec's crimson ones. He merely nodded in her direction, ghost of a smirk on his face, and she nodded back with a tight lipped half-smile

Weird.

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

[ wyn's note ]

i'm in such an updatey mood; ENJOY!!!

aro was literally like a kid in a candy store with all the talent being brought his way LOL. also, if aro saw everything in her brain, why do we think he still offered her a "job"? ;) dot dot dot

till the next one! xx