i. Paradise on Earth.

CHAPTER I,
Paradise on Earth.

    It was Summer

It was Summer. And there was no containing Lucelia Sterling.

Summer was everything to teenagers and young adults in Kildare Island, whether it be from The Cut or Figure Eight, social status did not matter when it came to the season. The cops in the mainland called it the worst of them all, the one time of the year that chaos erupted everywhere all at once. Everyone wants to cherish this time and enjoy it while they can because life goes by in a blink. For said reason, staying still or laying back was not an option.

It was a young group of wild-spirited teenagers that would live the summer of their lives. This is what they said to each other that first night of summer vacation. They were going to be true to their promise, they would not let a single day go by. This brings us to the under-construction house on the mainland, where said group was drinking beer and playing with the construction site tools. This brings us to Lucelia Sterling.

She lay on her back, one sweaty arm over her eyes, her hair tucked under her head. Sweat decorated her skin as the sun made her its own, trails tracing maps down her tan skin. The feeling of ice on her chest made her eyes open, spotting an ice cube sliding down her hot skin. JJ Maybank laughed hysterically next to her like it was the funniest thing he'd ever done.

"Screw you, JJ." She muttered out, grabbing the ice cube and chucking it at his head. "I think you'd enjoy that." He said after swatting the cube before it hit him. He winked at her, recalling last summer in Lucelia's backseat. She scoffed in reply.

Lucelia sat up straight, letting her legs dangle off the edge of the scaffolding she had been lying on. She reached over for the cooler next to JJ and grabbed a cool can of beer. She pulled at the tab, letting the beer at the top drip down her hand.

"That's what? A three-story fall to the deck?" Pope Heyward estimated, looking up at John B who was balancing on the roof of the under-construction house. "I give you about a one in three chance of survival." He continued.

"Hm. Should I do it?" John B joked, flashing his eyes at the boy, sticking his licked finger up in the air as if to test out the wind's direction. "Yeah, jump. I'll shoot you on the way down." Pope replied, pointing an electric drill in his direction, to which John B responded with finger guns.

Lucelia looked between the two boys with amusement. "Jump. Definitely. I think a corpse would be a great way to start our summer." She followed the joke, tilting her head back and raising the can to her lips.

John B flashed the girl a pearl-toothed smile, "You're the one who said you wanted this summer to be fun, Celia." He chuckled.

"They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers." Kiara Carrera walked out to the deck after exploring the inside of the house, her face dripped in disappointment. "Are you surprised?" Lucelia quirked her brow.