Chapter 1: You take my hand and drag me headfirst, fearless

Monday May 16th, 2016 - Age 4

Tess twirls a curly strand of her hair around her finger as she sits in the hair and makeup trailer, waiting for Mia to come back. She stares at herself in the mirror for a moment 'she looks like her sister' she muses as she watches her reflection. In reality though, she really looks like the perfect mix of both her parents. while her older brother looks more like their dad and her older sister looks more like their mom, Tess looks like the perfect mix of them both, and people always liked to point it out, mostly in comments to her parents that they assume go over her head. 'Wow, your family must have really strong genetics' or 'I can totally see where she gets it from'. She hates it.

Although she has one thing going for her in the looks department. She's blonde. And both of her parents definitely aren't. Her mom was blonde when she was a kid but her dad likes to say that the three of them get their blonde hair from their Nana, and Tess doesn't mind. She likes Nana.

"Hey, bear!" a voice calls out from the trailer door, and Tess pushes her hand against the counter ledge so she can turn around in the spinny chair.

"Hello, Bob," Tess giggles as Robert Downey Jr. steps into the hair and makeup trailer. Which, based off of the bed head mohawk he's sporting, he definitely needs.

Tess has no idea where these nicknames came from, though she does know that Bob is short for Bobbert. Along with his mohawk Robert is sporting a pair of sunglasses, 'shocking' Tess thinks sarcastically, a (if she remembers correctly) custom made iron man pajama set, and of course, giant pink bunny slippers.

"What?" Robert teases as he sits in the chair next to her. "You like the hair?" he says, gesturing to his hair which is sticking straight up in multiple directions, "I did it myself."

"Oh yeah, I bet"

Robert rolls his eyes in response before picking up his phone and blasting music throughout the trailer.

"And I don't know how it gets better than this, you take my hand and drag me head first, fearless!" Robert sings along just as Mia comes back from the car and his hair and makeup artists come in.

"Who let Robert pick the music again?!" Mia jokes as she begins to finish Tess' hair.

"Robert did," Tess replies over the music, mock glaring at Robert as she does so.

"Hey! This song is a work of art!" Robert informs everyone for probably the millionth time.

"oh yes, I agree" Tess mocks slightly, even though she really does agree. The sarcasm thing just doesn't always turn off.

"The haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate. Baby I'm just gonna—"

"Yeah, okay, I got it, Bob," Tess laughs as she slides off the chair to head to set, well probably crafty first and then set.

It had been a few months since she last worked with Robert. It was an entirely different project but Robert was still very much the thing. It's easy to work with Robert, Tess thinks, he's funny and makes her laugh, but he's also nice. He cares. He takes care of her. She missed working with him, she decides as she walks out of the trailer into the crisp morning air. She missed him.