The Dream

//CONTENT WARNING//

What you are about to read canonically takes place the night before Key opens up to Valerie. There will be references to topics such as abuse, as well as emetophobia. If these topics make you uncomfortable then do not proceed.

---

A familiar sense of dread and fear washes over Key as he finds himself in the baren hellscape that he dubs "The Void". A place of pitch black nothingness that brings feelings of panic everytime he ends up here.

Every step Key takes sends waves of sharp pain and feeling of heaviness that almost cripples him. The pain doesn't just linger below, his throat feels full of goop and liquid, making it nearly impossible to breathe.

What felt like hours passed as Key eventually falls to his knees, coughing and gasping before vomiting out a mixture of puke and black goop. Despite being burdened with the knowledge of this being a twisted nightmare, the burning of his throat and the tears in his eyes felt very real. Every cough felt like a stab to his heart, every gag was extra pain in his throat.

Any attempt to stand back up was futile, pain would just push him back down. The puddle before him dissolved in an instant, leaving a brief but putrid smell behind. Key softly cried and coughed, unable to form any words for even a chance - a chance - to cry out to someone, be it his beloved or even a stranger.

The aura of patheticness and helplessness only furthered crippled Key, who was now huddling in a fetal position, trying not to cry even harder. He swore he could hear the sound of laughter, sounding very familiar to "his" voice - the voice of his father - adding to the cruelness of everything.

From pain to fear, the sound of laughter was replaced by the brief sound of footsteps. Key glanced in the direction they came from and saw a shadowed figure standing in the distance. One with seemingly messy hair and - rather horrifically - horns.

Demon horns.

Key, in a panic, tried to walk, crawl, squirm, away from the figure as it slowly approached him. Any attempt to speak only resulted in gasps and pants from Key's lips.

Suddenly, a hand touched his shoulder and a voice was hear.

"I won't hurt you."

Reluctantly looking back, Key sees that the figure had reached him, no longer engulfed by shadows. To his shock, the very figure before him had a striking similarity beneath the dark blue hair, the horns and the apparent appearances of scars.

This figure, this man...

It looked like Key.

Confusion was very apparent as Key once again tries to speak, failing to like before. The man, meanwhile, gets down on one knee and looks at Key with a serious yet strangely comforting look on his face.

"Things are going to get better," He spoke, his voice grainy and rough, yet oddly soothing, "Don't let the past haunt you forever...everything is gonna be okay..."

The man soon wrapped his arms around Key, pulling him into a soft hug. He held onto him, occasionally rubbing his back, as he whispers words of comfort into his ear.

Key felt shocked and confused by this. Despite having the knowledge of this being a dream, the grip of the man and his warmth, his soft breaths, it all felt...real. As if this man - this 'other' Key - was a real entity and not a made up dream character.

After a few moments, Key soon hugged back and closed his eyes. His breathing slows down as he lets the 'other' him comfort and sooth him.

Before he knew it, everything goes dark and silent.

---

Key wakes up in a cold sweat, a mixture of shock and confusion in his mind as he examines his surroundings. It didn't take long for him to realize that he was back in reality, on his couch in his house.

It was dark out, the clock read 2:45 AM. Valerie, his boyfriend, resided in bed, asleep.

Key sighed and wiped away some sweat from his head before standing up and heading to the bathroom.

Running some water from the sink, he splashed some of it onto him to help calm him down. He looks in the mirror and lets out another sigh.

"This can't keep happening..." He mumbled quietly, turning off the sink before drying his face. Key's focus soon shifts back to the bed where Val resided. A light blush appears on his face, Val looked so cute and peaceful when he sleeps.

His thoughts soon shift back and forth briefly between that dream and Val, with Key taking the time to think about what to do next. He knew this pattern couldn't continue, and he knew it was a repeated one that Val didn't know about.

"I need to talk to him about this..." Key thought to himself, slowly approaching the bed, "I kept it from him long enough...Vallie's my boyfriend, he deserves to know."

As he looms over the bed, the thought of waking him up briefly flows over Key before deciding against it. It was too early.

"...I'll do it in the morning..."

Key quietly climbs into bed and scoots close to his heavy sleeper boyfriend. With no intent to go back to sleep, he merely snuggles close to Val and tries his best to clear his mind for the time feeling.

In the back of his mind, though, he knew he couldn't forget it that easily. Really, his hope was to at least not let it cause a panic attack.

The morning was gonna be a weird one, for sure.