𝟻𝟾| 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐏𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐈𝐬 𝐍𝐨𝐭 𝐀𝐭 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐭

Start from the beginning

"Number three: The past will come back to bite you in the ass. Whatever you think you know about the past, forget it. The past is not at rest! Any sins you think were committed in the past are about to break out and destroy you."

As Randy concluded his explanation of the rules, you were still trying to process the last part as it resonated with you the most.

After the untimely discovery of your family's secrets, you were afraid the past had already resurfaced. Though, it wasn't your past that was biting you in the ass, it was your mother's.

"Well, that did not make me feel better." You voiced as you turned to exit the car. Randy took the keys out of the ignition and tossed them to you as the two of you headed inside.

"It's not supposed to," he said. "Shit's going downhill real fast. This was just a forewarning."

Although your nerves were not at ease, you knew eventually you'd have to resolve all the issues at current. You've already decided to give your mother a call when you got inside, however, you didn't know what you were going to say.

You'll just have to cross that bridge when you come to it.

Begrudgingly, you started up the stairwell with Randy, wincing every so often as you were still sore from the fall and your other... activities, with Billy.

When you made it inside your suite, you greeted Alice who was painting her toenails on the couch while Randy split off toward the kitchen. You didn't allow yourself to sit and chat with your roommate as it'd only spur on your procrastination, so you went straight to your room.

Unfortunately, the Gods were not on your side as you already had two visitors waiting for you.

"Jesus, why?" You sighed, leaning back against the door as you shut it behind you.

Billy wore a vexatious smirk as he was sprawled out on your mattress with his hands behind his head. Meanwhile, Stu stood at your desk, rummaging through your things like a nosy little delinquent.

"Your roommate let us in," Billy said, answering your unasked question. "Has she always been that dense?"

"Yes and no," You spoke through gritted teeth as you sucked in a deep breath to sedate the bubbling irritation that was ready to boil over.

"She thought you set up a three-way," Stu revealed while laughing.

During his snooping, he pulled out a little keychain from a white gift box embroidered with a golden ribbon. Your eyes widened as you realized it was the present you had gotten a week ago for Roman for his birthday — which happened to be today.

"Don't touch!" You marched over to him and snatched the keychain out of his grasp. You carefully placed it back inside the box before shoving it into one of your drawers.

"What the hell are you guys doing here?" You questioned, glancing at the both of them.

Billy quickly sat up, brows smashing together after discerning your unprovoked irritation. "Our place got raided..."

"Yeah, Orth, someone ratted us out." Stu explained, taking a step back. "We had nowhere else to go."

"You wouldn't have done that, right?" Billy tilted his head, searching your expression for any indication of betrayal.

You clenched your jaw, peeved that he would even suggest you were the snitch after the night you shared.

"It wasn't me, asshole." You clarified, and you weren't going to tell him who it was either. Randy didn't need another target on his back.

"Geez, what's got your panties in a bunch?" Stu asked, reclining against your desk.

"I dunno, maybe because I was attacked earlier... right after finding out some life-altering news that I haven't had time to fully digest yet." You expressed, looking over at Billy. You wanted to talk to him alone, but that wasn't about to happen with Stu here.

"That's exactly why I told you not to go," Billy declared as he stood from the bed. "You could've been killed. Again."

"Oh, really?" You quirked a brow, walking right up to him, chests nearly touching. "Is that why you didn't want me to go or was it something else? Was there something you didn't want me to find out?"

Stu looked utterly confused as Billy stared down at you, unresponsive. He wanted to step in and ask what you were talking about but chose against it. It was clear you were pinning all your anger on Billy, and he didn't want any of the heat.

"Billy, did you know my dad was fucking Maureen Prescott?" You questioned, coming straight out with it— no more beating around the bush.

"Yo, what the fuck?" Stu glanced between you two, completely shocked.

"Well?" You ignored Stu's outburst, holding Billy's gaze.

He was the first to break eye contact, looking anywhere but at you. "I didn't want to be the one to tell you. I thought your parents would've done it by now, it's been four fucking years."

Your eyes doubled in size at what you were hearing. "Fo– Four years?!"

You backed away from him, struggling to contain your contrasting emotions.

"I couldn't tell you, Y/n." Billy tried approaching you, though you held up your hand to stop him. "I didn't want you to feel what I felt when I found out about my father. Maureen tore my family apart. I didn't want the same to happen to yours."

"Is that–" You paused as you felt your chest constrict painfully. "Is that why you killed Steve? Because you didn't want me to find out?"

Your question went unanswered as Billy clamped his mouth shut. The look on his face told you everything you needed to know.

"Oh my God..." You muttered, voice cracking. All of a sudden you felt nauseous, like you needed some fresh air.

Pushing past Stu who had been watching the whole scene play out, you rushed out onto your balcony. The door slammed shut behind you as you leaned against the railing to catch your breath.

Now was not the time to start having a panic attack.

The loud bustling cars from below assaulted your eardrums which distracted you from the sound of your blood pumping vigorously through your veins. You forced yourself to focus on the studio down the street and the reporters crowding the front of it.

You would give anything to not be where you are right now. The urge to flee again had returned, only much stronger this time.

Yet, Kincaid's voice echoed in the back of your mind, telling you to fight that urge. Running from the problem wasn't the answer... it won't make your ghosts go away. You have to settle the issue yourself. Staying until the very end is what will set you free.

As you had some time to calm down, the sudden sound of the door sliding open caused you to whirl around in fear of it being Billy.

"It's just me," Stu held his hands up in defense, afraid you'd express your anger in a non-verbal way.

"What do you want?" You glared, your guard still up.

"Billy left," he stated, inching closer. "Said he was gonna give you some time to cool off."

"How considerate." You scoffed, turning away from Stu as you rested your forearms back on the railing.

When he didn't say anything back, you were somewhat surprised to be met with nothing but silence. You half-expected him to reply with some stupid remark.

What you didn't expect was for him to wrap his arms around you from behind. You flinched at the abrupt contact, glancing down at his arms with raised brows.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "If I could take it all back... I would."

Your entire body was enveloped by his warmth as Stu hugged you tight. The sincerity in his tone caused a lump to swell in your throat. How could you care for someone so much, yet hate them at the same time?

Salty liquid pooled in your eyes as you swallowed back a reply. You couldn't speak. All you could do was spin around and press your face against his chest as you slid your arms around his back.

You just needed someone to lean on, you didn't care who it was. And if that person happened to be Stu, then so be it.