Chapter 17: The Prince in the Form of a Magician

After about twenty minutes...

"Willy? Willy!!" Charlotte called out desperately, tears spilling from her eyes, running as fast as her legs could to the docks. Going after the Cartel was definitely not one of her best ideas. Well, it wasn't like she could have done anything to them anyway, but she was too angry to even think straight. They had probably already made their way to the docks and were waiting for Willy to arrive. She had to get there before he did. She had to try to stop him one last time.

No.

She had to stop him.

Her legs were hurting and her heart was pounding, and the freezing cold temperature didn't make it any better either, but she didn't care. She only cared about one thing at the moment. And that was finding Willy.

When she finally made it to the docks, she could see four familiar figures in the distance, and one other walking towards them, shoulders slumped in a defeated manner.

Her heart skipped a beat. That was him!

She ran faster, trying to get to him before he reached the Cartel.

"Willy, wait!" she yelled.

He seemed to have heard her that time, as he turned around to meet her eyes. "Charlie? I thought you-"

His words were interrupted when she threw herself into his arms, almost knocking him off his feet. "Willy, you can't leave!" she gasped, her voice cracking. Her arms wrapped tightly around his neck and her hands gripped at his jacket, not wanting to let him go. "Please don't...please don't leave..."

"I..." He stared down at her in surprise, his eyebrows furrowing. "Charlie, I...I don't have a choice," he whispered, his voice stripped of its usual happiness. He sounded so hopeless, which made Charlotte want to cry even more.

"No, you do!" She buried her face in his shoulder-neck area, her tears soaking into his skin like acid.

"I'm accepting the deal, Charlie..." His hand held the back of her head, gently petting her hair. "I'm doing this for Noodle and the others...and you, of course."

"But what about you?" she whispered, sniffling.

"I'll be alright. I'll find a different pathway in life...I guess Slugworth was right..." He let out a soft chuckle. "I never was meant to be a chocolate maker."

"No...no, don't be like that, Willy..." She hugged him tighter, if that was even possible. "You're a wonderful chocolate maker; the best I've ever known! You- you can't just give up on your dream!" She was desperate at this point. "W-What about your mother? And- and the chocolate shop with your name on the top? And...wasn't I supposed to be your apprentice...?"

He put his hand under her chin and lifted her face up to look at him. "I'm doing it, Charlie," he repeated, his gaze meeting hers.

"Y-Yes, but-" Her lip quivered, unable to come up with a response to that without it being something she'd already said. Tears ran down her cheeks, but she didn't try to wipe them away.

"You'll be okay. You're a very strong girl, Charlie," he said softly, lifting his other hand to wipe her tears away.

"But, Willy..." she whispered, her voice cracking. "What about...what about the pinky promise you made? You said you'd help me find my mother..."

Fickelgruber's eyes flashed with both surprise and anger as he heard that, but Charlotte didn't seem to notice.

Willy sighed softly. "I...I know...But sometimes promises...just weren't meant to be kept..."