The Good Old Days

Let me take you back to 2011, a time when I was just a 6-year-old explorer in the lively streets of Umeda, Osaka. But before we dive into those childhood tales, let's fast forward to today—a moment when those memories are like cherished treasures, carefully tucked away. Now, as I recount the past, join me in reliving the golden moments of that early journey.

So little and innocent was I, Hayashi Yuki, back then, just entering Umeda International School for my first year of elementary school after completing kindergarten. It was a late admission, but my parents made every effort to enroll me in the best elementary school in the area, Umeda. As for where I lived, it was a small apartment on the bottommost floor on the outskirts of Umeda, Osaka. Umeda, with its bustling business, shopping, and entertainment district (though I didn't fully grasp that at the time, ah, the good old days), was mostly a city by then, yet remnants of greenery still adorned its streets. Our apartment was situated beside a quaint playground, which I rarely visited as I liked to stay indoors back then- haha!

If you were to ask what I liked back then, I'd probably say I was nothing special, just like any other elementary kid with a penchant for watching TV

If you were to ask what I liked back then, I'd probably say I was nothing special, just like any other elementary kid with a penchant for watching TV. Pokemon held a special place in my heart, and I dabbled in a few other kids' shows as well. Well, studies were a 'meh' for me; I scored well, but it wasn't a topic of my interest. Instead of running on the playground like many of my peers, I found comfort in staying indoors, lost in the world of indoor games. Yet, amid the ordinary, one fascination set me apart — my unwavering love for trains.

Traveling was a common rhythm in our family—twice a year, to be exact. Among the destinations, one held a special spot in my heart—my granny's place in the central side of Osaka, immersed in the urban hustle. While my friends at school remained somewhat distant, I had a good bunch near my granny's. Those visits were filled with play and laughter, creating memories that lingered long after. The only downside? The part I dreaded the most—saying goodbye when my mom insisted it was time to head back home.

Of course, I loved my parents deeply. My mom, the source of my name Yuki, was none other than Hayashi Yukiko. She dedicated her days to shaping young minds as a teacher in a nearby school. Likewise, my dad, Hayashi Daisuke, known far and wide as 'Hayashi-sensei,' was a respected teacher in the most prestigious school of Osaka. Their passion for teaching painted our home with knowledge and love, creating an atmosphere that left a lasting impression not just on me but on the countless students they inspired.

And then came the so-called 'best elementary school in the city.' Hahaha, my parents were firm believers in that title. It wouldn't be entirely truthful if I said I hated school, though it didn't bother me that much. I made a few friends, but I wasn't particularly close to anyone. The only thing that bothered me was the abundance of projects and art crafts they seemed to shower us with—I guess it's a trick to showcase it as the best school in town. Socializing in class was never an issue for me, but I found solace in my introverted nature, preferring to spend time alone. When the bell used to ring declaring that it's finally time to go home, that was perhaps the best part of my school hours. The excitement of thinking about the Pokemon episode airing on TV, the suspense of the happenings in the last episode—those moments were pure joy. As the school bus roamed through the heart of the town, the trains passing by on the side always caught my attention. I couldn't help but glue my eyes to them until they disappeared into the distance. As soon as I used to reach home, first thing I used to do was switching on the TV. Good ol' days right?