Hospitals And Dads

Calandra slowly woke up from what felt like a long nap

Calandra slowly woke up from what felt like a long nap. She squinted her eyes at the light, and saw, a... The person was talking with another person. From what she heard, both voices were females. "She is waking up."Replied one of the women, and once Calandra's vision cleared, she saw that she was surrounded by two females, both in uniform, though the brunette was wearing a white coat."Hello, Ms. Baird, I am Dr. Teresa Marson. You have been unconscious, for 12 hours, can you tell me what you can."She asked Calandra.

Calandra's head felt foggy, but she replied, "Me, my mom, my Aunt, my cousin, we're in our home, when all of a sudden, the peacekeepers came." she said in a preferred tone. Lucy Gray and Mary taught the girls that no matter what, they had to lie if they got separated and never reveal to the tribe not they were drifters.

Dr. Teresa nods and begins an examination. She checked Calandra's pupils, then her breathing, and finally, she put this cold gel on Calandra's belly and used to see her insides.  The nurse helps set Calandra up in bed after the examination, and both she and the doctor leave with the promise of food and checking on her.

Calandra groans and rubs her neck before she looks around the room. There was wire and a tube attached to her with something covering her finger, and she remembers seeing, that the doctor in the clan used some of these things to help her patient.

She noticed how clean and sterilized the room was. The strange bed she was in was probably more comfortable than the bed back in her and her mom's shared tent with Lily and Aunt Mary. There was a television on the wall of the room, she saw one in the Clan leader's tent, it was playing on July 4th. Her mother and the other adults forbid the kids to come in during that time, but... Clanandra snuck in. She saw a young boy, being killed by a trident by an older boy covered in blood. Her mother caught her and dragged her out. It was the first time, that she heard her mother yell at her, and in tears.

That night, Calandra was sat down by her mother. Her mother apologized for yelling at her but then explained why she was to never tell or explain what was to be said in their tent that night.

-Flashback-

"Calandra, you know that we never go near the abandoned cities or the fences near Panem." Lucy Gray says and Calandra nods, Lucy Gray takes a deep breath. It was as if her mother was mentally preparing herself. Lucy Gray then spoke in a calm tone but filled with pain, "Almost 23 years a ton, there was a war between the districts and the Capital. The Capital won, but to punish the districts, the Capital decided to... Great a game." Lucy Gray says, her voice wavering in a tight and trembling fear-filled way that Calandra never heard before.

"2 tributes, from each of the 12 districts are selected at random. One female and one male. They are all then taken to fight in the arena. They select children of age 12 to 18, Only one tribute is allowed to live. This was a way to punish and keep the districts in line."Lucy Gray says trembling. "That is why you must never reveal this information to the others. You understand?" She said making it impossible for Calandra to refuse or to ignore. "Yes Mom," Calandra says, and Lucy Gray hugs and cradles her daughter. "I love you, my little rose." She said almost breathlessly.