Chapter Two: Learning

Despite what many people think, learning can be rather fun. Even if you don't think it is, you tend to learn things all the time. You learn how to walk, talk, run, and play. From the moment you open your eyes to the day you die, your brain will absorb knowledge like a sponge. You learn your ABCs and 123's. You learn about others, formulating relationships in the process. It's always a joy to form connections and relationships.

Toby was a fast learner. That's what Hoodie always told him, at least. Toby was quick to get the hang of his new life and responsibilities. He was quick to learn the ways of a proxy and then hone his skills and assets to become an elite. All in all, learning about Eyeless Jack was a fun journey. As a proxy, you learn how to pick up on the little things, and when you have enough pieces, you'll always see the bigger picture.

Toby noticed that Jack was very particular in the actions he displayed. Everything he did was with intent, except for those little times Toby managed to catch the other off guard. Jack was like a fun thrill when it came to Toby's antics. To say they haven't gotten closer during the few times Toby would see him would be a blatant lie. Toby was able to learn a lot about Jack during those slow, tiring, or unfulfilling nights.

Toby also noticed that Eyeless wasn't particularly shy, only that he kept to himself and preferred to stay silent. He only really opened up to his master, but even then, his voice was forced out of him. Even so, those sessions were taken privately. Not even proxies were allowed to listen in, per the request of Jack. It seemed that Jack was most comfortable being silent, and Toby could respect that in a way. Maybe he couldn't understand it since Toby's mind and mouth ran non-stop, but that never bothered him.

Most of the time, when the two found themselves in each other's company, Jack stayed completely silent or barely made out a few words. However, tonight, Eyeless Jack decided to become a chatterbox, by Jack's standards at least. It was silly, but the conversation started with the topic of cats.

"Do you like catsss? I do. Granted, I like a lot of animalss, but t-t-today I saw this really cute callico. Was it a callico? I don't really know my cat t-terminology." Toby had pondered aimlessly after a moment of complete silence. Toby was always the one to start their conversations with an empty thought that wormed its way into his brain that night. When he did have conversations, Jack would perk up a little to show Toby that he was listening while continuing his task at hand without speaking a word.

"I do like cats. They're...my favorite." Jack utters softly. It would always surprise Toby when Jack decided to use his voice, but whenever he did, it was a nice treat. Although, usually, after one sentence, Jack would end his contribution to the conversation, instead he would respond with little gestures and sounds. He didn't do that, however. In fact, he kept going. "I like korats."

Toby, while mentally shocked, grinned widely and continued. "I'm more into orange t-t-tabbys myself." He mused happily as his eyes blinked continuously. Truly, that and a few others were the only types of cats he could confidently identify.

"Makes sense.... You're kind of equivalent to one." Jack teased fondly as he looked down at his paperwork. The two had finished Toby's checkup sometime ago, but the proxy had decided to stay a little longer, not really feeling up to hauling himself into his room just yet. He was kind of glad for it too, since he could witness Jack talking for himself.

Ben didn't believe Toby the first time the proxy told the ghost what he had heard. That was alright, though. Toby knew his truths, and he had heard the demon's voice loud and clear. Well, not really loud, but it was clear enough.

"What's that ssssupposed t-to mean? You calling me st-stupid?" Toby joked with no actual bite. He merely swung his legs off the medical table and watched Jack go about his business, his shoulders shrugging every so often. Jack snickered to himself quietly and shook his head as he continued.