— Will this ever end? - asked Annie, who was leaning against the wall, not feeling well.

- Yes. Hope said, gaining courage in her voice.

- When we die. - added the girl from seventh grade gloomily.

-We won't die. - the blonde girl said firmly, even though she didn't believe what she was saying.

— That's right, we won't die, we'll be murdered.

—Johanna Mason, I promise you it will be fine. This will all end. - she said firmly, but deep down she knew how much I was lying to both girls and the boy who was listening to their conversation.

- You're lying to yourself. Peeta whispered.

- NO. I make a promise of life.

A promise of life that will be last and unfulfilled.

***

Victor stood next to Effie, watching the attempt to make a film encouraging rebellion.

The woman from the Capitol tried to pretend that everything was great, while the black-haired man's face expressed disgust and embarrassment at what he saw. Watching the events unfold before him, he imagined Hope standing by his side, categorically refusing to make a fool of herself like Katniss was currently doing. She would probably leave here and demand to be released from these dungeons, which she would probably call a prison.

The sound of applause brought him out of his thoughts. He turned his head towards the entrance and carefully observed the sight he had not expected.

A sober Haymitch entered the room, and at his side was Killian Newton, looking good even in that hideous jumpsuit and bruises on his face.

— And this, my dears, is how the revolution dies. - said the amused blonde.

— Hope would have left long ago, dragging Katniss with her. Killian announced, greeting Effie.

- Hello, Katniss. Abernathy said, walking up to the girl.

He was answered by deafening silence and the contemptuous look in his gray irises. However, they weren't the only irises filled with contempt, young Sparks' eyes also showed dislike for the man who lied to him and his sisters.

-Is this how you greet an old friend? he asked, then blew his nose.

— Maybe I don't recognize you sober. - she replied, more stating than asking.

— Apparently I look as miserable as I feel.

— Or maybe it's not the withdrawal? Victor asked contemptuously. — Maybe it's remorse for lying to your loved ones. And I didn't forget. You have no conscience.

- Victo... - he didn't have a chance to finish because the black-haired man left, followed by Killian.

Despite the constant calls of his name, he only stopped when the older man tugged on his arm.

"Victor, damn it, I know you're mad at that idiot. Believe me too, but without us Katniss won't be able to do it, and without her we won't get Hope, Johanna and Annie back.

- I know, but when I see him...

— Remember what Hope always told you, when you had to do something you didn't like?

— "Bite your teeth and show that you are above it." - he announced more calmly.

— Exactly, now there's a situation where you have to listen to her to save her life. he said, looking comfortingly at Victor. "When this is over, you can yell at the old idiot for all time and your parents."

— These aren't my parents. - he said immediately.

— Right, sorry. These strangers why you hate them. - he continued his thought. — But now you have to help Katniss and take care of Mercy.

— While Hope is gone, I'm taking over her duties. - he whispered, remembering how the red-haired woman kept telling him that he was her worthy replacement.

— Now you go back there and do everything to bring Hope back.

This was what Victor needed. Reminders of what he's fighting for and why he's here. And Killian, having known him for nine years, was the perfect person for the job.

-Okay, let's go back.

***

Being with Haymitch was difficult for Sparks, and it became even more difficult when he was in a room with not only the blonde, but also Coin and Annabeth with her husband. If it weren't for Killian sitting next to him, he would have probably left after the loud fight.

But he remembered why he was here.

Hope, Johanna i Annie.

"I'll take a moment for you, if I may." - Haymitch announced, standing up after they finished watching Katniss rant. — Think back to a moment when Katniss genuinely moved you.

— And not out of envy of her hairstyle, her blazing dress, or her reasonably accurate bow shot. Eric continued.

"Let's not think about how Peeta told you to like her." Annabeth added from where she sat.

- NO. Think about a moment when it awakened real emotions in you. - Victor added, understanding his family's reasoning.

Effie immediately volunteered and then spoke.

— When she volunteered instead of her sister at the Harvest Festival.

- A perfect example. - With that, Haymitch wrote it down on the board, not caring about what was there before. - All right. What else?

— When she sang a song to little Rue. Effie replied again.

- Sure. Everyone fell apart. he said, writing down again. — I like you without makeup. - he said towards the woman from the Capitol.

-And you're sober.

— When she chose Rue as an ally. Victor said, turning his attention to the exchange between the older two.

— What do these events have in common?

-No one told her what to do. Sparks said.

— She improvised. Eric agreed.

— Just like Hope always did. This is what connects them, it is their instinct that tells them what to do. Killian added.

- Maybe we should leave her alone. - added Beetee, nodding to the black-haired people.

- And let's wash our face. Vic added.

— You turned a young girl into a 35-year-old. Jackson added.

In return, they both gained a smile from Katniss, who also didn't like her makeup.

***