It truly wasn't difficult because the old madam's maternal household had made a huge fuss in the estate. Everyone knew that the Pei household suffered a major calamity. The old brother-in-law might lose his head this time. The person Yan Yan sent back effortlessly got the information, and even brought back news that the Pei household's old madam went daily to the Rongan Hall to cry.

Putting together the Pei household's matter and Matron Zhao's sudden arrival, the old madam's thoughts didn't need to be said.

Yan Yan didn't hesitate before telling Shen Yi Yao about this matter and also described the situation in the capital.

Shen Yi Yao's face turned red and white.

No one would feel good about this. Without even mentioning the previous matter, just this matter alone was sufficient. Normally you don't show any concern, but the moment I am of use you show up at the door?

If this was before when she was still foolish, wouldn't she have easily been persuaded to go ask her maternal family for help?

Cheating on the imperial exam was never a small matter, and there were many implications. Even if Shen Yi Yao didn't understand the seriousness of the matter, just hearing her daughter describe the situation made her realize it wasn't a small matter. If she truly went to her maternal family, would they help? If they didn't, she definitely would cry and beg. Her dad and brother cherished her and would be put in a difficult position. If they helped, it would bring trouble to her own family.

Actualy many things couldn't withstand scrutiny, especialy when it came to someone who suddenly saw things clearly. When blind trust, reliance and goodwill were completely destroyed, what collapsed wasn't just her worldview, but also her trust in others.

Shen Yi Yao even thought that the Pei household's person definitely did some corrupt things. Otherwise, why would he be locked up and interrogated?

Thinking further, this Assistant Minister Pei was Concubine Pei's dad. Why did the old madam believe she would help? Especially since Concubine Pei had continuously tried to harm her. Also, did Yan Ting know about this?

He definitely knew about it, even though his presence couldn't be felt in this matter.

It was just like the many matters in the past. The old madam was always playing the role of the villain while he didn't say much. If things went as planned, he would comfort her and say she was troubled due to his mom being too insensible. If things didn't go as planned, he would say he didn't know about this matter and say he would go handle his mom....

In the distant past, she had felt she married a good husband who always stood by her in matters between her and her mother-in-law. She even felt ashamed that she stole her husband's affection and treated the old madam with even more filial piety.
But what was the truth? The truth couldn't withstand scrutiny!

Thinking of all the foolish things she had done previously, Shen Yi Yao suddenly felt overwhelmed with shame.

In the past, whenever she recalled what her dad said when he scolded her, she could never figure it out. She even felt some faint resentment, thinking her dad was too domineering and never listened. He didn't listen to her explanations before making such a heartless judgment.

Thinking back now, her dad's words were truly correct. She had truly been unable to distinguish between evil and loyalty, right and wrong, and was thoroughly muddled....

Shen Yi Yao's face was very pale. She stood up and went to her bedroom. Cui Qiao glanced at the madam's back and then at the third miss. She said quietly: "Don't worry third miss. This servant will console her properly."

Yan Yan nodded.
.....

Dinner time arrived but the Jinhua Hall hadn't sent anyone over to invite Yan Yan and Yan Mo to go eat. This was very unusual.

After a while, a little lass came over and told them big sis Cui Qiao said the madam hadn't eaten yet.
Yan Mo was practicing his characters. He raised his head and gave his sister a glance. Mei Xiang gave the lass some coins and sent her on her way.

Yan Yan sensed her brother looking at her and muttered: "You have to be focused when writing."
Yan Mo hurriedly sat upright and properly, making Yan Yan laugh. She took the writing brush from his hand and put it on the counter. "Make a trip to the Jinhua Hall and eat dinner there."

Yan Mo froze. After thinking about it, he understood.

He called the maids over to help put on his shoes and put on a satin fur cloak. Yan Mo then let Matron Dong hold his hand and went to the Jinhua Pavilion.
As of now, Yan Mo no longer let the grannies carry him and walked by himself.

The Jinhua Hall was silent enough to hear a pin drop.

The maids were all walking on tiptoes. Seeing Yan Mo come, they greeted him quietly.

Entering the bedroom, only two of the gold Vermilion Bird nine-wick lamps in the corner were lit. Therefore, the room wasn't very bright, but it also wasn't dark. The faint yellow light shone on the crimson woven blanket, making the room seem as if covered in golden cloth. There was a black palanquin bed with carved butterflies and flower patterns further inside. The cyan curtains embroidered with flowers, and birds were half lowered, covering the inside.

"Madam, the fourth young master is here." Cui Qiao said quietly as though afraid of disturbing someone.

"Mom, why are you still sleeping? Ah Mo is hungry."
Only after hearing this voice did a rustling sound from inside the bed. Shen Yi Yao's slightly hoarse voice sounded.

"Mo'er, mom accidentally overslept. Have the maids serve you some food first. Mom will be right there."

Yan Mo had Matron Dong take him outside. Cui Qiao lifted the curtains around the bed. She didn't say anything after seeing Shen Yi Yao lying on the bed with red-rimmed eyes. She had the maids on the side bring warm water and a towel.

After slightly washing up, Shen Yi Yao specially had Cui Qiao apply some makeup around her eyes before going out.

Dinner had long since been prepared. Cui Qiao had arranged it. Since the fourth young master came to eat with the madam, Cui QIao ordered for it to be set up on the kiln table in the western warm room.

"Has Ah Yan eaten?"

"Sis is eating at the Guiyan Chambers."

Before leaving, Yan Mo had heard Mei Xiang order a little lass to bring food.

Shen Yi Yao grabbed some food for her son and said gently: "Since you're hungry, you should eat more."
Yan Mo ate a few bites and lifted his head to look at her. It was a very deep look.

After a long while, he let out a sigh. "You have to eat as well. Be obedient."

Shen Yi Yao looked at her son, and saw him acting like a little adult. She wanted to laugh, but her laughter was shaky and didn't dare come out.

Yan Mo said again, "Look how obedient I am. If you're not obedient, sis will have me come coax you. I don't know how to coax people though. What a dilemma."

The normally bashful and taciturn little person suddenly put on this appearance, making the maids and grannies unable to resist smiling. Shen Yi Yao's expression was complicated. "Your sis said this?"

"Sis didn't say it like that. It's just my assumption. A little lass said you hadn't eaten yet and sis had me come keep you company."

Shen Yi Yao half lowered her head, her expression obscure.

After a bit, she said: "En, mom will definitely be obedient."

"That's how it should be." Yan Mo nodded and patted her with his little hand. "It's fine, don't be scared. You still have me and sis."

Shen Yi Yao couldn't endure any longer. She threw her chopsticks down and firmly covered her mouth with her handkerchief. The few lasses on the side all turned away their faces as well and wiped their eyes with their sleeves.

Seeing this, Yan Mo sighed in his heart.

Fierce Consortजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें