Chapter One: LET ME IN!

MONDAY, DECEMBER 4TH

--

Lucas' alarm started screeching the MOMENT it hit 5 AM.

'Another day, another dollar...' Lucas thought to himself as he smashed the snooze button on the clock. He let out a long, exasperated groan as he sat up in bed (or at least attempted to. He barely put his head against the bed frame) and opened his eyes, immediately closing them again after feeling a stinging sensation.

Before he knew it, the alarm clock went off again. He reached over and, after missing it multiple times, finally turned it off. He stood up, letting his feet sink into the shaggy carpet as he stretched his arms above his head. Yawning, he walked to his dresser and grabbed the clothes that were hanging from it. He had chosen a pair of ripped white jeans and a royal blue shirt to go with it the night before but was now regretting it, as it looked kind of basic.

Shaking it off and being too tired to find something different, Lucas made his way out of his room and towards the bathroom. The loft was pitch black, so he had to stretch his arms out in front of him to make sure he wouldn't run into anything and wake his siblings. After struggling to make his way through the dark, he eventually made his way to his destination, fumbling for the light switch and turning it on. He threw his clothes on the counter and shut the door, turning on the shower to the coldest temperature it could go without losing water pressure.

His friends always bullied him for it, but Lucas loved cold showers. They were better for your mental and physical health than hot showers. Cold showers had many benefits, such as.... no. He wasn't about to info dump on himself.

Lucas shivered when he felt the frigid water first hit his skin. It was always worse in the morning because he was usually already cold. He slept with a thin sheet and a wool blanket on his bed. Nothing more, nothing less. Not even a pillow, which was another thing he got made fun of for. For some reason, he just found them uncomfortable. There wasn't anything to it except for that. Ever since he was 7, he hadn't slept with a pillow, and it was far too late to start now. He was almost 17 years old!

Before he knew it, he was drying himself off and putting on his jeans. He reached into his drawer and pulled out a comically large can of Axe Body Spray, as his brother put it. It wasn't that large! Just about the size of his forearm! ... It's not like his sister once thought it was her hairspray and used it on her hair! No! That would be ridiculous!

After applying a tremendous amount to his armpits and clothes, Lucas pulled on his basic blue shirt. He played around with it for a second, tucking it into his pants, tying it, and even FRENCH tucking it, but nothing seemed to look good. IT WAS A PLAIN BLUE SHIRT! Why did it look weird?!

With a loud huff of defeat, he threw open the above toilet storage and whipped out his hair dryer, plugging it in and getting to work on the wet black mop. He bent over and blow-dried it from the bottom because his sister had told him that it made his hair more fluffy, and nobody could ever get enough of fluffy hair! After teasing it for what seemed like hours, he finally decided that it was good enough for the fans and walked out of the bathroom.

The loft lights were on now, and the smell of bacon covered every inch of the room. He looked towards the kitchen and saw his older brother flipping bacon in a pan, but he didn't see him and couldn't hear him because of his earbuds. Lucas didn't want to bother him, so he quickly shuffled into his room to hurriedly gather his things, shoving them all into his backpack so he could quickly get a slice of fresh bacon. As he stood up, slinging the heavy bag over his shoulder, he caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror.

Ugh.

He looked weird.

He didn't exactly know why. His outfit was just rubbing him the wrong way for some reason. With a frustrated cry, he threw his bag to the floor and stripped himself of his clothes, pulling open his closet door and staring down his garments. He scanned up and down the rod of hangers, searching for something that caught his eye. Finally, something stood out. A pair of white overalls that his grandmother had gifted him just before she passed.