𝐛𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐤𝐬

Start from the beginning

The Greenie looked frustrated that they were talking about Gally. "He's an asshole."

"He saved your life," Filomena gave the boy a meaningful look. "I know we may be harsh but we're just trying to help."

"Trust us, the Maze is a dangerous place," Newt added as he took a sip of the amber drink that he still clutched in his hands.

"We're trapped here aren't we?" The boy asked while Newt gave Filomena another look as they communicated with one another, silently.

"For the moment," Newt said as he nodded before turning around to face the other boys who were still watching Gally and the boy fight. "But," The boy and Filomena both turned around as well to see that Newt was pointing at a group of boys, Runners. "You see those guys, there by the fire? Those are the Runners. And that guy in the middle there, that's Minho. He's the Keeper of the Runners," Newt turned back to look at the Maze walls. "Now, every morning when those doors open, they run the Maze, mapping it, memorizing it, trying to find a way out."

"How long have they been looking?" The Greenie asked.

"Three years," Newt stated even though it sounded like he was questioning it.

The Greenie stared at the walls for a moment with a confused look. "And they haven't found anything?"

Filomena was unsure why but she felt annoyance spread through her body at the boy's question. Maybe it was because she had experienced the Maze first hand and it killed those she loved but it made her snap at the boy. "It's a lot easier said than done."

"Listen," Newt said and the three teens could hear rumbling and groaning noises coming from the Maze. "Hear that?"

"That's the Maze changing," Filomena added. "It changes every night."

"How's that even possible?" The Greenie questioned.

"You can ask the people who put us in here if you ever meet the bastards," Newt quipped with a smirk. "Listen the truth is, the Runners are the only ones that really know what's out there," Newt gave Filomena a knowing look. "They're the strongest and fastest of us all and it's a good thing too because if they don't make it back before those doors close, then they're stuck out there for the night."

"And no one's ever survived a night in the Maze," Filomena finished.

Newt took another sip of Gally's drink while the Greenie stared at the red-haired teen confused. "What happens to them?"

Filomena sighed. "We call them Grievers. No one's ever seen one and lived to tell about it. But they're out there."

There was another silence for a moment before the blond teen placed his drink down. "Right, well, that's enough questions for one night. Come on." Newt stood up before pulling Filomena to her feet and turning to the other teen. "Listen, you're supposed to be the guest of honour"

"Oh, well-" The Geenie started before being interrupted by Newt.

"No, no, no," Filomena smirked at the protesting boy. "Come on. Let us show you around."

"I-really I'm-"

"Come on," Filomena said as she laughed while she and Newt pulled the Greenie to his feet.

The three made their way over to where the fight was still going on while the other boys cheered them on and others chatted idly with one another.

"Over there we got the Builders," Newt started as he pointed at a group of boys. "Very good with their hands but then not a lot going on upstairs," The blond teen turned around to walk backwards in front of the Greenie and Filomena and he motioned to his head as he talked. He turned around to motion to where a dark-haired boy with warm brown skin stood laughing with a couple of other teens. "And then we got Winston. He's the Keeper of the Slicers. And we got three Med-jacks, Clint, Filomena and Jeff." The former and the latter walked past the three teens and greeted them.

"Oh, hey, what's up?" Clint smiled as he walked by.

"Yo, Flo, Newt," Jeff said, pointing his fingers at the said teens.

"We spend most of our time bandaging up Slicers," Filomena commented with a smile.

"What if I want to be a Runner?" The Greenie asked.

Newt scoffed. "Have you listened to a word we said? No one wants to be a Runner," Filomena bit the inside of her cheek so she didn't say anything as the three came to a stop. "Besides you gotta get chosen."

"Get chosen by who?" The Greenie questioned just as Gally threw the other boy off of him and he barreled into him.

"Whoa," Gally exclaimed as the new boy let out a noise of pain as the other teen collided with him. The black-haired boy pulled the other teen to his feet before turning to the Greenie. "Huh? What do you say, Greenie? Wanna see what you're made of?"

Filomena stepped to the brunet boy's side. "Gally," She sighed. "Not today, not now."

"Greenie, Greenie, Greenie." The boys started chanting, and Gally ignored the female teen. Eventually, the chanting got louder and louder as they all looked at the new boy expectantly. "Greenie, Greenie, Greenie!" Gally motioned for the boy to step into the ring to which he looked at Filomena before moving to stand in front of the other teen as the crowd of boys started cheering.

"Come on Greenie! Yeah!" Chuck called out from his spot in the group.

"They're all idiots," Filomna muttered as she rolled her eyes.

Newt came over to stand beside her. "Weren't you the one who beat Gally up moments before and only came out with a busted lip."

Filomena opened her mouth to say something before closing it again. "Shut up," She whispered while Newt laughed as they turned to face the front again.

"Ok, all right," Gally started as he adjusted the cuff on his wrist. "The rules are simple, Greenie. I try to push you out of the circle, you try to last more than five seconds."

The crowd erupted into laughter as one boy said half-jokingly. "Take it easy on the Greenie, Gally."

"Ready?" Gally asked while the other boy nodded his head slightly. Then the black-haired teen rushed at the unprepared boy while Filomena winced.

EDITED: TBA

➸ kelsii.exe has logged out