Small bursts of memories slowly filled the girl's mind as she surveyed the area. If you ignored your peripherals one would assume they were on the outskirts of a forest as around the girl she could see flat grasslands while ahead of her she could see a thick mass of trees. The girl could also see that on the outskirts of the trees, there was a dirty-looking fabric held up by sticks and under it were more crates and tools. Beside the makeshift shelter was a small hut made of sticks but the girl couldn't see inside it. As she spun on the spot, the girl could see four looming walls surrounding the greenery. There were gaps in the middle of each wall and yet the girl couldn't see much from this far away.

"What is this place?" The girl asked as she turned back to Alby.

He shrugged. "I call it The Glade, not really sure how or why I ended up here."

"How long have you been here?" Alby had walked past the girl and jumped down into the metal cage before grabbing a crate, placing it on the floor beside the girl's feet and climbing out.

Alby sighed. "I'd love to answer your questions now but I really need your help in taking these supplies out and placing them over there." The boy pointed towards the hut. The girl paused for a moment before jumping down into the cage and helping Alby pick up the boxes and moving them under the fabric that was held up by thick logs.

After they were done, the girl sat on the soft, grassy floor and leaned on a crate, exhausted. Alby sat down on a crate beside the one the girl leaned on and offered her a pouch filled with water which she gratefully took. She poured the liquid into her mouth and immediately felt it soothe her throat.

Alby took the pouch from her and took a sip before he started talking again. "I arrived here the same way you did about a month ago, surrounded by supplies such as food, medicine, a map and tools. I couldn't remember anything, not even my name until a few days after my arrival. However, unlike you, I was alone for those thirty days. I tried walking out by going through those doors but was met with many different turns and ways to go so I stayed here in the Glade," He paused as he pondered something before continuing. "I built these shelters a week or two after arriving and survived off the food that arrived with me. Every week a new elevator of supplies came but I thought I was going to die alone here as I kept hearing screeching noises coming from beyond the walls," Alby made eye contact with the girl who listened carefully. "But today there was an alarm that echoed across the whole Glade and I came over to the Box," When the girl gave the boy a confused look he reiterated, "It's the elevator thing you came here on. I sat there for ages but nothing happened until the doors opened and you were there." The girl gave a weak smile.

"That's impressive," She whispered in a soft tone. When Alby didn't respond she explained. "How you survived here all by yourself. I can't imagine how lonely you must have been."

Alby sighed before smiling, "You know, when you arrived I swear I recognized you and a name came to me. Phil. I know it's short for something but I can't remember what. And when I saw you, relief just filled my body and I felt like I was staring at an old friend."

"Phil," The girl murmured. "Is that my actual name?"

Alby shrugged his shoulders. "Maybe. I'm sure it'll come to you soon, it did for me."

Something about the name felt wrong. Like it was hers but also someone else's at the same time. The girl felt like she didn't deserve to be called as such because it felt like a memory and that memory brought about pain and despair but it was the only name she had at the time so she didn't say anything. Besides, Alby said she would remember her real name soon and he was the only other person here so she had to trust him.

The girl looked at her arms, wanting to understand what she looked like as that too had left her memory. She saw ivory skin, free from blemishes and other features and the girl raised her head to look at Alby.

𝐮𝐧𝐥𝐮𝐜𝐤𝐲 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐦𝐬 | maze runnerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें