013 ✶ . . .lovesick

Start from the beginning

"chris." matt blinks.

chris pauses, opening his mouth and then closing it before attempting to open it again. "it's literally not possible," he tries to argue, only making matt grin as he can see his brother beginning to crack.

"you're freaking out 'cause you've never actually liked a girl before," matt knowingly tells him.

chris shakes his head. "there was jada."

matt only tilts his head. "you really liked her though?" he asks, squinting slightly.

he rolls his eyes. "yes, matt."

"okay, well," matt pauses for a second, clicking his tongue and regathering his words. "you're freaking out 'cause you haven't liked someone since jada," he corrects himself, giving chris a look before he continues, "but you like destiny and you know it."

chris huffs, leaning back into his seat to put more distance between him and matt. he looks ahead of himself as he thinks about it, beginning to shake his head. "she's nate's sister," he mumbles weakly.

matt smiles as he sees the panic beginning to set in with his realization. "you really like her."

"she's nate's sister," he repeats with emphasis, now louder as he turns back to matt. "i could never like my best friends sister."

"but you do," matt sighs. "and you're fucked."

chris doesn't respond, just leans further into his seat as his body feels heavier than ever. a frown rests on his lips because there is no way matts right. there's just no way. like seriously.

matt silently watches his brother before tilting his head. "you're really not gonna admit it, are you?" he asks, knowing the answer. when he doesn't respond, he gives a knowing look. "not admitting it doesn't make it any less real, you know."

chris pushes his lips together. "i'm gonna be sick."

"lovesick," matt laughs.

he then clears his throat when chris shoots a glare his way for laughing right in his face. "i mean..."

"did you see that jordan avery is officially off the market? literally what a bummer."

"i know right! the second i saw him in destiny doe's comments i knew i was done."

chris' jaw remains tight as he stands behind two girls in the lunch line. they're loud enough for him to hear and the line is moving as slow as ever while most of his friends are already sat at a table.

"same!" the girl responds enthusiastically. "good for her though," she says. "i always thought she had a thing for one of those triplets."

chris' ears perk up as the second girl instantly agrees with a nod of her head. "yes, omg. matt, right?" she guesses, chris' curious expression then dropping.

the other girl's face immediately scrunches up. "ugh, no!" she responds as if that's an absurd suggestion, making chris feel validated for a second before she continues, "that's the gay one, girl."

chris refrains from sighing loudly and steps out of line instead, deciding that he's lost his appetite. he heads for the center of the cafeteria, going right towards the table his friends are all at. he doesn't really take a glance at everyone, just quickly takes the open spot next to nate. when he feels the eyes of the table go to him, he lets out the sigh he was containing. "considering dropping out."

he expects agreement and some laughter in response, but all he receives is uneasy expressions. he furrows his eyebrows, getting an off feeling and looking to nate for help. nate clears his throat, noticeably looking into another direction so chris will take the hint and look as well. chris does so, and his face immediately sours. "'sup, chris?" jordan says nonchalantly from the seat directly across from chris.