Prologue

I was running, crying my eyes out. Images running through my head.

Singing the song, but giving up.

Esben changing into the bear.

Me running from him.

Escaping without him.

I screamed into the night, and fell to the ground, crying. I didn't know what was happening. Leaves crunched as I sat, and I grabbed a hold of a tree, my talons digging into the wood.

“I failed! I don't deserve to live.” I sobbed. As I tried to quiet myself, I heard the sounds of the Blackwood around me, the howl of a horned hound, the snarl of a toothy cow and I shuddered. Half from the chilly breeze, and the other half from fear. 

I sniffed as I looked up, I saw something, a clearing, the moon shining into it, and the outline of a well was visible. My heart skipped a beat and I fumbled as I searched for my canteen. I was thirsty, dehydrated.

Then my heart fell as I saw my hands. They weren't hands anymore though, they were talons. I shook my head, “not now, first, water.” I said to myself.

I stood up and walked to the well, the moon’s radiant shine falling over me. I walked around the well, and I realized what it was. It was the First Well! I could heal Esben! I wouldn't drink any of the water I would collect, I'd save it for my brother.

But I couldn't go back, not yet. Fangs were crawling around there and would kill me on command, maybe even sight. The Blackwood was full of Cloven like me, but I wouldn't be able to bear anything at the moment.

I pulled the bucket up and filled the canteen with the water. Where could I go?

The Wingfeather kids were in Glipwood… I should go and defend them. Yes, that's a good idea. But I was worried, where would I live? Knowing Podo, he wouldn't accept me, especially since I failed…

I yelled again, snarling and hitting my head, trying to knock something into it, or out of it, maybe sense. I failed my job as Throne Warden. I couldn't protect my brother. He's probably dead! Probably being eaten by wild animals!

No! Don't think like that! I snarled more, finding something to throw, my head throbbing. 

I stopped and looked around, trying to calm myself, I should hurry. I could make a house in the woods near Glipwood. No one would recognize me, I was a birdman, a half-insane birdman. I sighed at the truth.

Hopefully no one would recognize me. Especially Podo. I looked at the ground as I thought of the Wingfeather children. They probably changed their last name, Igiby. Or maybe a made up last name. I'd have to figure it out.

I'd have to change my name too. I don't know who'd I'd be, maybe the villagers will give me a name, I wouldn't have to say anything.

I made up my mind and I started to saunter, heading towards Glipwood.

To protect my brother's children.

I failed to protect him, but I wouldn't fail this time. They were the Jewels of Anniera, the next High King and Throne Warden were in hiding, unaware they were hiding, of how special they were.

I would love your opinion on the prologue, it's pretty short but yk its a prologue it doesn't need to be long.