My phone rings again.

"Maybe it's important." Lizzie turns, scrunching her nose, and I know she's right. A missed call in this line of work can mean someone's life.

I groan, rolling off of her and picking it up.

No cock block quite like your mom."Damn it."

"Hello?" I regret answering before the word is even off my lips.

"Darling, it's nearly six-thirty. Did you forget your father and I are expecting you for dinner?"

My stomach turns.

"No, ma, I didn't forget." I run my fingers through my hair, glancing at Lizzie. She rolls her eyes once she realizes who I'm talking to. "We were just... I got home really late. Just walked in actually. Would it be better to do it another..."

"Absolutely not. I've been cooking all day. If you're home now, it should only take you fifteen minutes to get here."

"Yeah," I sigh. "We'll be over soon. Bye."

Lizzie's eyes fill with venom. "Don't tell me you just told your mother we'd stop in the middle of the steamy hot sex we were about to have to go there for dinner?"

I let out a sharp laugh, shrugging. "Well, not in those words I didn't..."

"Jax," Lizzie whines, her bottom lip protruding as she rolls off the bed, reaching for her robe.

A little part inside of me dies as I watch her cover up. This job better be fucking worth it.

"You've been gone so much this week." She steps toward me, grabbing onto the collar of my shirt. "I thought we could celebrate."

"Celebrate? What are we celebrating?"

Lizzie presses her lips together, suddenly getting tongue tied. "Well, we... I mean, I..." she pauses. "Jax..."

I give her a strange look. She can't get a single sentence out. "What's going on, babe?"

"I just..." Her mood shifts suddenly. "I just had a big win in court today and I wanted to celebrate with you."

"That's awesome, baby." I wrap my arms round her waist, pulling into me. "If this is the celebration we get after a big win, I can't wait to see what happens when they make you partner."

"Yeah," A nervous smile settles on her face like there's something more she wants to say, but she doesn't. "It can wait. I know how important it is to keep up appearances with your parents right now."

I press another hungry kiss to her lips. "I'm so fucking lucky to have you, you know that? And I promise, the second we get home, we'll pick this celebration up right where we left off. Come here," Grabbing a cocktail napkin, I wipe at her cheek where her lipstick smudged from my kiss. "I love you so much, Lizzie."

_____

Andre glares at me as he leans back against the wall at the front of the boardroom. He knows I'm a million miles away as Rico drowns on and on about plan for a big buy we have happening today. I don't need to hear it again, I planned the fucking deal myself and sitting here has me even more irritated than usual.

Instead of wasting another second on this, my thoughts drift back to the lipstick stained cocktail napkin in my pocket. I didn't even know I still had the damn thing until it fell out of my jacket the other night, and now it's my most prized possession. Apparently I haven't worn the jacket since the night before Lizzie left, and finding it right when she's come back into it feels like some sort of bitter irony.