"We're going to get mugged," Sienna seethes, shivering from the cold. "If I had known he would make us wait this long, I would have fucking changed."

My lips twitch at her pink velvet jumpsuit and slippers, which probably cost more than this building. I pull her back against my chest, wrapping my arms around her neck. "You're on edge," I whisper, kissing gently below her ear. "I completely understand, baby, but he found her. He wouldn't have texted us to meet him here if he hadn't."

"Okay, but we're in the dark in the middle of an alley. Where the fuck is he?"

A loud bang against the door beside us echoes into the alley, causing Sienna to jump ten stories high. We take a giant step back when the door bursts open, and I quickly dart my eyes down to ensure she has the pocket knife in hand. It was all I had on me as a weapon before we came here. I've taught her how to wield it, and after the initial shock fades from the sound, my heart swells with pride when she straightens her back, gripping the handle just as we've practiced during her training sessions.

But it's not Travis who exits through the door. It's my brother, and he's got a man sagging in his arms who is bleeding...everywhere. I'm trying to decipher all his wounds as Jett tosses the man like a sack of potatoes. He's still dressed to perfection with somehow not a drop of blood on him, and when he pulls out the handkerchief from his suit to wipe the blood off the dagger he's holding, I don't think I'm breathing. Jett doesn't seem phased at all by the man, who is more than likely dead, currently lying in the alley.

"Sorry," he admits, running a hand over his slicked-back bun to ensure all the strands are in place. "Didn't realize one would be guarding the door. It took longer than expected to bring him down. Ready to get our girl? I'm feeling rather bloodthirsty today."

Our girl.

Our girl?

"You killed him," I manage to say, my eyes wide as saucers. Sienna hasn't moved an inch from beside me, her eyes glued to Jett. Fear seeps into my veins, but my brother doesn't seem phased by it one bit. Instead, he shrugs and sticks a thumb over his shoulder.

"Technically, yes, but he tried to kill me first. Self-defense isn't a crime, is it? Now, we can't waste time, so follow me." He turns to enter the building again, twisting over his shoulder to say, "One rule. Do not, under any circumstances, call me by my first name. Got it?"

I'm not sure how Sienna and I nod, let alone follow him, but we somehow get our legs to work as we enter the dusty hallway. It smells of mildew and garbage. It's so foul-smelling that I have to use my sleeve to cover my nose, Sienna doing the same. Fluorescent lights flicker, hardly giving us light to determine where we're going.

"Where the hell are we?" I ask lowly, my voice muffled by my sweater.

"A supply shop," he replies. "After my men discovered the location, I don't believe the person you're looking for is behind this. I believe they're targeting me, not you, but I also know you will be relentless until you see her alive and breathing, thus the reason I let you tag along."

Tag along. He's acting like we're going on a walk in the park rather than rescuing someone from captivity.

"And why would they target you?" I ask bitterly. The more information that's revealed to me, the more I realize that maybe I don't know my brother at all.

Sienna clears her throat. "More importantly, why would they take Carmen as ransom to target you?"

"All good questions," Jett hums. We pass by random crates filled with lord only knows what until he suddenly stops walking, twisting towards a box at the end of a hallway. "You can always change your mind and go back," he says. "Nobody would blame you."

"As if," Sienna grumbles. "I'm not leaving without Carmen by my side. I can help you get her. I've been training with Lincoln."

Jett cracks a smile. "It's sweet for you to think I need your help. However, it also pleases me to know you're learning to defend yourself."

"And why do I think you're being sarcastic?" She snaps.

They continue to bicker as we stand in the dimly lit entry, but my mind still can't catch up to process what's happening or what I've witnessed. I just watched Jett toss a dead man into the street without remorse. And now he's having banter with Sienna as if nothing has happened. He's comfortable with killing.

My brother's eyes glisten with humor as they flicker over whatever expression is on my face before darting back to Sienna. "Move," he drawls. "I'm about to save your best friend."