Chapter 39

It took no longer than three days for the Merry and her crew to reach the desert island of Alabasta. Not much action happened during that time, aside from training. The crew also spent some quality time together. Without having been told, Vivi had realized at some point, no one would ever figure that these people had only known one another for a little over a month. Crazy how that works.

When the crew docked at the island, Chopper and Sanji were tasked with going into town to get proper clothes for everyone to walk through the desert in as well as food and water they could take with them. Luffy had decided he was going to go into town as well, but didn't say why. No one tried to stop him, knowing it would be a futile effort.

As the three left the ship behind them, Luffy locked eyes with Sanji before running off on his own. He knew Sanji would cover for him. He also knew the man would keep track of him with his Observation Haki. Luffy would and was doing the same, having a much larger range let him watch the ship, too.

Now alone, Luffy let his feet take him to where his brother and Smoker were. The diner was fairly large, but most everyone had emptied out of it, saying something about some guy being dead. With a chuckle, he deduced that his older brother had fallen asleep in his food again. If that was the case, he knew just what to do to wake him up! Ignoring the part where he was already awake and arguing with Smoker.

"Hey, pops!" The young captain threw the doors open and launched himself into the seat next to where Ace had been just a moment before, skillfully ignoring the Marine Captain, "One of everything, please!" The man was shocked and didn't move to make or get any food, so Luffy started to eat Ace's food.

"Luffy?"

He looked up in mock confusion before grinning when he locked eyes with his brother. "Ace!"

"Luffy!" Still ignoring Smoker, the two brothers hugged each other tightly with matching grins. "It's been so long, Lu!"

"It has."

"I hate to break this up-" Smoker interrupted.

"Then don't?" The two looked at each other again and started to laugh. It proved to piss off the Marine more. "Ne, Ace?"

"Yeah?"

"Just like when we were kids?"

A smirk. "Just like when we were kids."

Together, the two turned to the poor cook and bowed, thanking him for the food, before they ran for the door, completely bypassing Smoker who soon gave chase. In a predictable turn of events, the crowd outside parted for them as they ran. They didn't stop until they were just outside the town and surrounded by Marines, Smoker and Tashigi - his right hand - joining them soon after.

"Well, well, well," Smoker smirked, "Looks like I got two for one."

Ace asked his brother, "WHat's he mean by that?"

Luffy smiled, his stance shifting so he could run or fight, "He's mad because I got away from him in LogueTown."

Ace blinked. "Really?"

"Yeah."

"Huh." he, too, shifted his stance so he could fight. "Oh, well. You can tell me all about it later, okay?" Luffy nodded. "Good. Where's your ship?"

"About five minutes that way." he pointed.

Ace nodded this time. "Head that way. I'll meet you there."

"Really?" No, he was not desperate for his brother to see his home or meet his crew. He also wasn't wanting to spend as much time as he can around him because he's going to leave and get captured and-