"What's going on, Vivian?" I repeated lowly, not realizing I hadn't relaxed my glare, even with my sunglasses still on.

I crossed my arms and had to let out a sigh as she stood there hesitantly, unsure how to answer back. I get that I'm an assertive person at times, but geez you'd think my wife would get me at this point.

In the past, I've had friends and even family, Vivian included, tell me that my tone can seem menacing when I'm serious; it's enough to send the wrong message to those who don't know me very well. I don't mean to sound terrifying, her words—not mine, but I couldn't help it. Maybe I have that going for me to get things done but asking a simple request from time to time from anyone makes them feel like I've purposedly made my requests law or something like that.

To add more to that, I've been blessed or rather cursed with what the common folk call, 'resting bitch face.' Whatever the guy's version of that is. Even when nothing is bothering me, I look like I'm pissed off all the time. Coupled this with the fact that I'm taller than the average giant and let's just say, I struggled with making a lot of friends in my teenage and college years.

And now, because of what happened a few years ago, I have to undergo anger management therapy before our human kids can even get near me. And that's what crushed me the most.

It's my fault, I can't see them and bring them home.

Vivian's sigh of resignation brought me back from my musings, as she slowly rounded the kitchen island and walked closer to me. At this point the kettle began to whine steadily, breaking the silence around us, but I still kept my gaze on her.

"I just got off the phone...with the Sheriff."

My face paled learning that the phone call was with Hudson and at this point, I wanted to kick myself for not being here to answer the call, the cry for help from my kids who couldn't stand a chance against the threat that was bigger than them.

"Zachary, just know that the kids are okay. Sheriff Russell is with them right now."

All of a sudden, everything around me just became annoying. My face tightened and I clenched a fist at my side, watching my wife withdraw as her concern quickly evolved into fear of my brewing wrath. Even though she knew that I'd never strike her, whatever was in my reach, however, would be the thing to feel my anger. Walls, cabinet doors, and tabletops would easily suffer at my hands. I'm not quite there yet, but I can feel it inching closer within me, almost as if I were the kettle sitting on the stove, and having the pressure increase and eventually explode out of my body.

"What happened to our kids?!" I demanded through clenched teeth. "Are they alright?!"

Vivian was struggling to find her words as I think she was trying to collect herself just before I got home but didn't have the time to process the conversation.

"Russell said something about little giant girls finding the house and trying to get it to open."

My eyes expanded at her confession, and of course, what followed was the pounding in my chest and the increased rush of blood that coursed in my veins.

Clammy hands ran through my dark, golden locks of hair. This is what I feared when I agreed to that fucking court order! They had no idea what they were talking about, and it only flew me into a rage. I removed and threw my sunglasses away, feeling the strain overtaking my eyesight, becoming the familiar red color I'd been used to seeing at this point.

"Babe, please watch your blood pressure." My wife reasoned, "Remember what the doctor said, you need to take a few breaths and remain calm."

My growing anger veiled Vivian's words and created a hole within me, mercilessly filling my head with hypothetical scenarios and cruel imagery as to what could happen to our children. I didn't want to hear anything else, I wanted to react. I wanted to harshly reprimand those who did them wrongly.