Bonus Chapter: What Happened Next?

Beginne am Anfang

Heat flooded Charlie's cheeks in one big gust. She knew her entire face must have been bright red. But she smiled back at him, wider than was perhaps appropriate, and laughed a little bit as she nodded. "Yes," she replied, accepting the roses and the gift from him. "Yes, I'd love to be your valentine."

A blinding smile spread slowly across his face like sunshine spilling into a room as the curtains were drawn back. "Great."

Charlie lifted the roses to her nose and inhaled their scent, then smiled up at Floyd, gazing at him from beneath her lashes. "These are so beautiful," she told him sincerely. "Thank you. I love them."

His cheeks flooded with colour. Floyd Talbert blushing! Things really had changed. And how utterly adorable he looked with his cheeks flushed crimson. Precious. She wanted to squeeze him tight and never let go.

"You're welcome," he told her, glancing away and rubbing at the back of his neck.

"Are you in California for work?" Charlie asked after a beat. Really, she was desperate to know what was inside the package - whatever the gift was was inside a box, so there was no way of knowing without opening it - but she didn't want to seem rude or overeager.

Floyd coughed awkwardly into his fist, watching a bird sitting on a branch of the tree to his left. "Uh," he hesitated, "no."

"Oh."

Floyd nodded, visibly cringing. His face was starting to scrunch up, his hand rubbing his neck with increasing vigour.

Charlie's heart dropped to think he was embarrassed. She didn't want him to feel embarrassed or silly or unwelcome or any negative thing, and she feared in her effort to compose herself and not seem overenthusiastic about his presence she'd made him feel unwanted.

"You came to see me?" she asked, stepping sideways to draw his eyes back to her.

Floyd shrugged. He was looking at her now, at least, but he still looked awkward. "We never got to spend a Valentine's Day together," he explained. "Not as a couple, at least."

Charlie watched, half-delighted, as he realised what he'd said and cringed even harder. She'd never known him to be so unsure of himself, so bashful and uncertain and shy. It was endearing - so endearing she wanted to wrap him up in a blanket and give him hot chocolate and play with his hair until he fell asleep - but it also made her ache; how had they ever stumbled upon a time when Floyd Talbert wasn't sure how Charlie Lancaster felt about him? How had there ever come a moment when they weren't attached at the hip?

"Can you hold this for me?" Charlie asked suddenly, holding out the wrapped gift he'd given her.

Floyd nodded, too grateful for the distraction to be confused by the request, and took the box from her.

Charlie shifted her roses in her hand to ensure they were sturdy and weren't liable to tip over, then she approached Floyd until she was pressed against him and he had no choice but to hug her back.

Her roses were pressed against the centre of his back, her cheek resting just over his heart. It was pounding hard beneath her ear. It only pounded harder when he let himself be brave and moved one of his hands from the centre of her back to press against the back of her head, holding her closer to his chest.

"Will you be my valentine, too?" Charlie asked quietly. Her eyes were closed, her breathing steady, her heart racing wildly in her chest. This was home. Wherever in the world she was, if Floyd was there too then she was home. No amount of time apart was going to change that.

Charlie felt the rumble of Floyd's laugh before she heard it.

"Yes, Freckles," he said quietly into the top of her head before placing a kiss there. "I'll always be your valentine."