In unison, they shake their heads, giving me goosebumps. "It's time. It's you Bayley needs, lad. Go to Bayley. Danger." After that cryptic message, they go back to acting like normal, talking to each other as if they didn't just creep me the fuck out.

I stare at them all for another couple of seconds before looking down at my lap. Bayley is in danger? Why exactly should I care? They're creepy and not that nice. I'm pretty sure if he was a person in the Sleeping World, they would be some serial kidnapper or something.

Still... I wonder what type of trouble someone from the Living World gets into to actually be in danger. Beings here aren't easily hurt. And besides, if Bayley is in danger, what Harley might be too.

As soon as I think that, the train comes to a halt in front of the White Castle and I hurry out, avoiding fins and wings that reach out as if to stall me. The thing with the Train of Thought is that if you don't focus or leave things be, it can run away with you. With how the creatures on the train were acting, I'm surprised it even let me out at my destination at all.

I walk towards the tea party and greet the usual two guests. The jackalope and the dormouse are sitting perfectly still as usual, tea still steaming hot. "Atanasio, Mina. Nice to see both of you! Listen, I got a letter for White Queen Tam, can you-"

"Why are you here?" Atanasio asks, his ears twitching around his antlers and feet kicking back sporadically. He might fall off his chair if he keeps doing that, he should calm down.

"Like I was saying, I need you to deliver a letter-" I continue. What's up with the creatures today?

"No. Why are you here? To the mill." His whole body jerks unnaturally, and his typically loud and smooth voice hoarse and quiet. The neon green pattern on his teacup is so bright it's blinding.

"To the mill!" Mina echoes, her eyes going wide as if they'll pop out of her head as she wakes up for a second. She quickly goes back to sleep. The mill is where Bayley lives. It sits on a hill overlooking the Tulgey Woods and Harley's tea table. Why is everyone so insistent that I go there?

"But first the letter," I insist. "If you will not deliver it for me, I'll do it myself." I turn towards the White Castle and begin to walk, but stop dead in my tracks when I notice the White Knights coming out of their tents. Even Veronin looks strange as the pocket he typically keeps his watch in glows bright, and his hat looks seconds away from falling off his head. What has happened to my friend? Why does he look so crazed, not in the way that has comforted me before, but in a way that makes the hair on my skin stand up?

The madness seems to fade for a moment, because he looks guilty when he tells me, "We must get you to the mill, friend. Forgive me.

At this, they all start to approach me, being far too much at once. So, I do the only thing I can think to do. I run. I run until my legs burn, every breath feels like a stab to my lungs, and the sound of their footsteps and the drawing it conjours (a line going far too high then far too low) fade completely. I sink to my knees, Wondersand cutting into my skin as its black licorice smell reaches my nose. I'm practically ready to pass out when a familiar English accent pierces the air, a picture of a fire flooding my vision. "Well, well, well, look what the chase dragged in." I can feel the smirk in your voice. I want to wipe it right off your lips (and totally not because your lips are really pretty; that would be weird).

"You have any idea what's going on, Harls?" I question between gasps, trying to catch my breath.

"Not at all." You extend a hand to help me up, but I just stare at your boots. They're by far my favourite part of your outfit, black faux leather with faux white fur accents. Opposites blended together into one part of an outfit, just like you; you're a walking contradiction. English accent despite never having been to the Sleeping World, a Living World creature with your sanity still intact. It's one of the many things I love about you -platonically, of course- and probably the reason why you're my best friend. "Hello? Darling? Are you alright?"

Shit, I must've been quiet for too long. "Yeah, I'm fine, I was just thinking." I take your hand and stand up, ignoring how much my legs complain. I must have run really far, to be where you can find me. Meaning... Sure enough, in the distance, Bayley's mill sits on his hill. I shudder. "What should we do? Should we investigate?" I look at you, finally, and I get bathed in a green light coming from the emerald in your crown. Strange; I must not have noticed it glowing earlier.

"Hmm..." You put a dainty finger on your nose and look up, thinking. Finally, you stop and look at me, starting to walk towards your tea table. "How about we go to the Tulgey Woods? I think you're finally ready, darling."

I smile at the pet name you use for me, but let my concern show on my face as I follow you. "Are you sure, Harley? You always say that it's much more dangerous there. Do you really think we'll be alright?"

You just laugh at me, as if what I'm saying is silly. "Says the person who used to explore the Jabberwock's Ruins for fun as a kid. What happened to your sense of adventure? Where's your curiosity?"

I shake my head as we arrive at the tea table. The scent of lemon greets me from your tea. "I was a dumb kid. And I have curiosity, but I also have a sense of self preservation. I'd rather not die here."

The tea table sits at the border of the Tulgey Woods and the chessboard pattern that covers this entire place. Something strange I've learned about Living World creatures is that they don;t go anywhere unless it's in a checkerboard pattern. They take two steps within a square, and if they're a chess piece, they move how they would in a game. That's why there's no need for a gate to the Tulgey Woods; the ground surrounding it is a different colour than the ground anywhere else, breaking the checkerboard pattern. That's also what makes it dangerous. No Living World creature has ever stepped in there before, other than you. Taking risks, doing things no one before you had ever done, those are core pieces of you. That's part of what made me care so much about you. Also helps that you seem to be the only sane one here other than me. You've always been special like that, ever since the day I met you.