Jack could have sworn Davey had dodged the swing towards his legs with the bat, however he couldn't ignore the bang that came with him collapsing onto the ground. He wasn't sure if maybe he hadn't actually dodged or something else threw him to the ground, but either way Jack felt his heart shatter.

Jack wasn't sure why these people were targeting Davey specifically, though by what they were saying he had an assumption. But that couldn't be true, right? Why would they know about that, Jack knew how unsafe it was to talk about that openly. Hell, the only person who knew Jack was bisexual was Jack himself.

Jack raced off the fire escape, yanking the boy closest to Davey with his collar, sending him foundering backwards. He lifted him up from the ground, glaring daggers at him. "Aye come on, is spending your time beating up teenagers a good way to boost your ego?" he growled.

The boy stammered, eyes growing wide as he tried to pry himself from Jack's grip. "Jack Kelly?!?" he squeaked.

"The one and only," Jack grinned, "Now heres the deal, you and your little friend leave Davey alone and never bother him or any of the other guys again," he began, "or you won't be able to walk long enough to touch him again."

Despite Jack's reputation, he actually wasn't a fan of threatening people at all. Pulitzer had used threats to take advantage of him, but there was no way in hell Jack was letting some asshole destroy the person who meant the most to him. Plus, he had fought the delanceys for the newsies all the time, along with defending younger kids at the refuge.

So he'd be able to rip this kid to shreds if it called for it.

Jack dragged the boy over to the other, who had froze in his spot, eyebrows raised in fear. Jack could see his chest rise and fall every five seconds.

It'd be funny if his mind wasn't so jittered seeing Davey's current state, because these people were such wimps. Suddenly when someone recognizable comes, they're speechless.

He loosened his grip, letting the boy fall and slam onto the grabble beneath them. The two scurried off, tossing their bags to the side as they ran into the distance.

Jack scoffed, furrowing his eyebrows together and narrowing his eyes before he kneeled down next to the curb. "God Davey please talk to me," he begged, swallowing the lump in his throat.

Jack gently shook the other boy, "Dave," he repeats, puddles under his eyes. Jack shook his head, he hated crying near people he was the strong one, but if he lost Davey his entire life would be over. He couldn't see him like this, he didn't deserve it. Davey didn't deserve anything he'd been through.

Davey groaned, blinking his eyes open ever so slowly. "Jackie?" he muttered, voice strained. He attempted to prop himself up, wincing at the pain in his leg and ribs.

Jack wrapped an arm around Davey's waist, allowing him to lean against him as he helped him stand. The taller boy whimpered in pain, barely processing the fact Jack was there at all. He just wanted the pain to subside, he wanted to go home, he wanted to be safe.

"God I hate new york," Jack mumbled, shaking his head with a deep frown. He rarely ever saw Davey this upset, and he had never seen him this out of it. Something about him was he was always thinking, and typically full of energy and joy. However, now he looked drained of all energy, eyes dark and dried blood scattered over his face.

Jack decided taking Davey all the way up the fire escape wouldn't be a good idea, so he headed towards meddas theatre until davey felt good enough for them to head back to his home. The boy limping beside him looked as if he could pass out any second now, and that made Jack wish he didn't let those kids go off scott free.